UK Product Thread

Hello people. I haven't been here for a while and I think this is the only place someone might have noticed so just wanted to say hey :)

Reactions: Second Summer
Heya all :) I'm good thanks, been crazy busy but really good! My pc died for a while and now I'm back at uni I'm really busy... but missing all the vegan food tips I get from here! How are you both? x

I feel so left out of this thread. :( ('merican)
lol :)

I bought some custard cream biscuits from Tesco (Rumplers) and they are Kosher but I can't work out if they are vegan as they have a mysterious "flavouring" ingredient.

Heya all :) I'm good thanks, been crazy busy but really good! My pc died for a while and now I'm back at uni I'm really busy... but missing all the vegan food tips I get from here! How are you both? x

:wave:

Reactions: SummerRain
I found a few bits in tesco that actually state 'suitable for vegans'. I'm actually more upset by this because I'm more concerned about other items iv bought believing they were but haven't been labelled as so :-/ xxx

What have you bought that you think may not be Vegan?
Tesco brought out a range for Vegans, but have other items that may be vegan but not labelled as such.
Accidently vegan if you like. Most shops/supermarkets dont label vegan...something about repackaging costs etc.

Summer Rain! :D:hug:

Reactions: SummerRain
It's just that a lot of the Tesco own brand stuff iv bought say suitable for vegetarians. If it doesn't have milk or eggs in the allergy advice I then check the other ingredients.
I picked up some of their 'meat free' frozen bits and they actually said suitable for vegetarians and vegans. I suddenly wondered whether I should have been looking out for this on everything else! Xxx

Not really some items may not be labelled vegan for the 'may contain....' rule or that they are currently selling out old stock before putting new packaging on vegan approved items.
I was green V fanatic when I started my transition, if it didnt say VEGAN I didnt buy it. But thanks to this place you start to know what to look out for... :D

Reactions: CrazyCatLady
It's just that a lot of the Tesco own brand stuff iv bought say suitable for vegetarians. If it doesn't have milk or eggs in the allergy advice I then check the other ingredients.
I picked up some of their 'meat free' frozen bits and they actually said suitable for vegetarians and vegans. I suddenly wondered whether I should have been looking out for this on everything else! Xxx

Don't worry about it, tesco have only just started labelling their own brand stuff as vegan. Dunno if this is gonna be put out across the range, or just on the deliberately vegan stuff. Even supermarkets that are great with their vegan labelling (like sainsbury's) miss a product or two. It's great when it does say it, because it saves the ingredient hassle, but if the ingredients don't list anything non vegan then you're fine.

& welcome back summer rain!

I was in Tesco today and couldn't find any of this new stuff, where should I be looking?
I'm not sure which bits are new...but I have found tesco own brand meat free items in the vegetarian frozen that are suitable for vegans. I found about 4/5 'cheese' items in their "free from" range down the cheese isle...being sure to avoid the lactose free cheese which is not suitable. Also, if you go to where they have a lot of the world foods on the shelves (right at the back of the large store I go to), they have loads of items in their 'free from' range. Be sure to check that they are not JUST free from wheat etc and that they are also free from dairy xxx

Excellent, thanks :up:

They didn't have any veggie section in the frozen bit, but I didn't think to look at the Free From range. Next time, next time...

Excellent, thanks :up:

They didn't have any veggie section in the frozen bit, but I didn't think to look at the Free From range. Next time, next time...

That's a shame. I am very fortunate to be just around the corner from a massive Tesco Extra. There are a few freezers for Quorn products. Then another one or two with Linda McCartney, Amy's Kitchen and tesco own...maybe a few others xxx

I'm not sure which bits are new...but I have found tesco own brand meat free items in the vegetarian frozen that are suitable for vegans. I found about 4/5 'cheese' items in their "free from" range down the cheese isle...being sure to avoid the lactose free cheese which is not suitable. Also, if you go to where they have a lot of the world foods on the shelves (right at the back of the large store I go to), they have loads of items in their 'free from' range. Be sure to check that they are not JUST free from wheat etc and that they are also free from dairy xxx
Ive been fooled before almost bought some free from chicken pieces because I thought they were dairy free...but it meant dairy free crumb coating on REAL chicken...yak.

I do that all the time! I see something like "breadcrumb coated chicken" and I think yum, then I realise it's REAL chicken. I just get into that mindset where I think everything is vegetarian. Luckily I have never bought any real meat, but it's been close.

Speaking of beef stock...
Does anyone know about bisto gravy?
Iv checked the red (original/favourite flavour), and the brown (onion) and they both seem fine. The orange (chicken) one is not suitable for vegans. Is there any reason I should get the green veg one? Xxx