UK Product Thread

Nakd have some new 'crunch' bars out but they're not stocked in any of the places I shop. BOO.

Ooh, I was there too! :D
:D Did you have a good time?

I was there pretty early so I missed the ques, there is nothing distinctive about how I look that I can say "I was the one with..." :p Except maybe, I was with my fiance, who has quite a beard!

Oh also since it's the product thread, I tried a "thumbs up" bar which was REALLY good. Quite sickly I suppose if you're not into peanut butter or sweet stuff... but I thought it was delicious.

:D Did you have a good time?

I was there pretty early so I missed the ques, there is nothing distinctive about how I look that I can say "I was the one with..." :p Except maybe, I was with my fiance, who has quite a beard!

I did! Got there early as well (about 10.30), with my fiance and a friend. I was in my 'vegan police' t-shirt, which had several people stopping to high-five me :p Raided the Fry's stand because everything was so cheap. Ate my weight in cookies and cake. Also bought some of those vegan marshmallows, because HOLY CRAP YUM. Hopefully they will find a much bigger venue for next time, though - I very nearly melted, and spent a lot of time grid-locked.

Reactions: SummerRain
:D Cool, I wish I got to try more new things but it was so busy it was difficult to get to them :p I wanted to raid the Frys stand but I was worried about it faring on the journey home.

Tried my first Ms Cupcake cake, it was really tasty, especially the icing, though if I was going to be critical I'd say the cake itself was quite dense - I'd have liked fluffier cake.

Yeah... there is a competition on the Anandas food website to win £30 of vouchers for their website btw. :) I had a go but I'm so creatively challenged I'm not hopeful :p

Guy, guys, guys! I'm sure most of you have eaten at least one thing from these guys: http://www.seriouslyvegan.co.uk/

Well.... I found out today that the guy who owns and runs the company, is the volunteer dog trainer at my work! So in his free time (and he tries to come up every day), he's out in all weathers with the dogs who have behavioural issues. Without his work those dogs would never find homes. We've even got one dog who was very close to being put to sleep because of his issues but he's improved so much thanks to Mike and his wife Tracy.

So yeah, I'm doing shameless promotion of their products :p

Also, in the next few weeks they're going to be releasing a new chocolate bar!

Sooooo... If you're ever unsure if you want to buy one of their products, just think that if you do buy it, indirectly you are helping out rescue dogs! :D

Hey that's really cool, I've eaten all the chocolate bars :cool:

When I see the people who own companies I buy from all the time at vegan fayers/etc I feel a bit like I'm meeting a celebrity. :D

Reactions: Muggle
^ haha I was a bit starstruck when I talked to Ms Cupcake!

Guy, guys, guys! I'm sure most of you have eaten at least one thing from these guys: http://www.seriouslyvegan.co.uk/

Well.... I found out today that the guy who owns and runs the company, is the volunteer dog trainer at my work! So in his free time (and he tries to come up every day), he's out in all weathers with the dogs who have behavioural issues. Without his work those dogs would never find homes. We've even got one dog who was very close to being put to sleep because of his issues but he's improved so much thanks to Mike and his wife Tracy.

Sooooo... If you're ever unsure if you want to buy one of their products, just think that if you do buy it, indirectly you are helping out rescue dogs! :D

thats pretty awesome. Their chocolate is so nice! He should make you his taste tester hehe

^ haha I was a bit starstruck when I talked to Ms Cupcake!

I saw her at Greenwich market and I said "Hi" like she should know who I am.:bag: It's like when I see celebs walking around in Central London and I smile at them. Embarrassing. :rofl:

Once I emailed the guy who makes Hipo Hyfryd chocolate to suggest he make mixed boxes of different flavour truffles. About six months later they appeared on his website. He didn't respond, but I like to think it was my idea :p

I need to befriend a vegan confectionery maker and become their taste tester...

Reactions: Muggle

Super cool!

I've never seen any of that chocolate though. Boo.

Once I emailed the guy who makes Hipo Hyfryd chocolate to suggest he make mixed boxes of different flavour truffles. About six months later they appeared on his website. He didn't respond, but I like to think it was my idea :p

I need to befriend a vegan confectionery maker and become their taste tester...

A few years ago I emailed Quorn to suggest they make a pork pie...they mailed me some coupons and a while later Porkless Pies were in the shop...they were sort of nice(had egg in them like most Quorn stuff though). They were a bit dry I thought, but ok.....I think they've stopped that line now.....I suggested that they could be sold in garages. I have no idea if it was my suggestion that prompted the porkless pie, either, but I like to think so too.

Wow thats soo cool! Definately check them out :D

Anyone with an Andriod phone. Recommend me some good veg*n apps...you know nutrition charts, ingredient lists etcetc. Most of the ones Ive found seem America based

I am shopping at Ocado this week and last (we do it occasionally because they have such cool vegan stuff!). Last week I got the strawberry Pudology vegan cheesecake: http://www.pudology.com/

It was REALLY nice, it tastes sort of similar to the co-yo yogurts (which are quite divisive I think), with a slight coconut taste and a slight tang. But I loved it. It costs THE EARTH though, £4 for the two smallest pots of desert I've ever seen.

This week I'm buying a cake from Cat & The Cream http://www.catandthecream.com/ I'll let you know what I think, I'm excited because they look fab (but also expensive).

But of a weird question, but I've been on the lookout for some kind of health/nutrition magazine for ages and ages. Obviously I want something vegetarian based (preferably vegan - unlikely that that exists though.)

The ones I've seen are all so expensive & for some reason I resent paying out for something that might just be crappy. So basically I would be interested to know if anyone here buys any mags like that & if they would recommend? :)

I bought a cat & cream cupcake before from vee cross and was sooo disappointed. it looked lovely but the actual cake bit was a bit dry and cardboardy. I may have picked a bad one, but I wouldnt get one again. That shop is awesome by the way. I never hear it mentioned, but its a little shop in Kings Cross that sells loads of vegan stuff (mainly junk food haha). Ive only been there once and wish I lived closer.

Randomly I was in H&Bs the other day spending my reward card voucher and the lady behind the till asked if I had a vegetarian society discount card (discount = good excuse to buy fry's stuff = spot the veggie a mile off). Apparently if you have a vegetarian society card you get a 10% discount in h&bs. she also thought the vegan society did a discount too but she wasnt sure how much membership cost. I cant find any reference to it on the site : ( anyway thought it was weird how noone had ever asked before. but there we gooo

I still haven't been to Vx. I tried a Cat & Cream cupcake and it was okay but not as nice as the Ms Cupcake ones.

I got the Tesco smoked free-from cheese this week and I liked it, I think it would be nice sliced up in a salad with lettuce, olives, red onions, toms, cuke and some french dressing.:lick:

Reactions: Alice-Bee
I am shopping at Ocado this week and last (we do it occasionally because they have such cool vegan stuff!). Last week I got the strawberry Pudology vegan cheesecake: http://www.pudology.com/

It was REALLY nice, it tastes sort of similar to the co-yo yogurts (which are quite divisive I think), with a slight coconut taste and a slight tang. But I loved it. It costs THE EARTH though, £4 for the two smallest pots of desert I've ever seen.

This week I'm buying a cake from Cat & The Cream http://www.catandthecream.com/ I'll let you know what I think, I'm excited because they look fab (but also expensive).

I'd be interested to know how they taste and the price for a cupcake. They do look very pretty but nothing that you
couldn't bake at home if you're looking for a vegan, wheat free cake. :)
These kind of bakeries only seem to be in the London area or chic towns like Cheltenham. :D

But of a weird question, but I've been on the lookout for some kind of health/nutrition magazine for ages and ages. Obviously I want something vegetarian based (preferably vegan - unlikely that that exists though.)

The ones I've seen are all so expensive & for some reason I resent paying out for something that might just be crappy. So basically I would be interested to know if anyone here buys any mags like that & if they would recommend? :)

I've never seen a magazine on nutrition at the newsagents. I know that you can get one in Canada as my mum used to subscribe to one.

I have found this link on the Vegan society but it not be quite what you're looking for.

http://www.vegansociety.com/about/publications/vegan-magazine/

Disappointing :( It's a shame, I'd love to have vegan cake I can buy with my weekly shop! Nevermind, I bake cakes too, they're always nicer than those I buy, it'd just have been nice to have something easy.

Anyway the cake was tough and bland, and I thought not sweet enough. One had nice icing (butterscotch) and one had bland icing (chocolate).
(I didn't eat two, I halved them both with my fiance! Honest!)