UK Product Thread

Hmm maybe I'll try it too then if I see it, I thought the other tesco cheese I tried was disgusting too. :)

The Tesco vegan cheese is made by Sheese....they didn't have the smoked on the Tesco website, so I just bought some of the Sheese smoked cheese...I think that smoked cheese could fool people, if it were in a sandwich. I hope I don't go off it.....I used to prefer the more rubbery, sausage shaped dairy smoked cheese, but the Sheese one is good.

406764b.jpg

Reactions: SummerRain
I don't like the medium Tesco vegan cheese; I liked the mild, but the Tesco website is always out of it.

That smoked cheese is good enough that my omni brother ate the block that I left in the fridge, instead of eating any of the six types of dairy cheese, thus ruining my lunch plans :p

Reactions: ledboots
I'm cooking with it tonight, grating it on stuffed peppers. I'll let you know my verdict :)

Update: it was okay cooked, but not fantastic: but to be honest this is the only vegan cheese that I can eat uncooked. Last night we had a salad with cannelini beans, small cubes of the smoked cheese, avocado, and the usual salad stuff like lettuce and tomatoes. It was very tasty, and my other half did not realise he was eating vegan cheese, so that's a win!

I'll definitely be buying more.

Does anybody know if Vegusto products need to be refridgerated? There's nowhere near me selling them but I want to try them (lots of people say they're really good), but there is somewhere near my parents, so I could take some back in my suitcase but they'd be in there 4+ hours.

Does anybody know if Vegusto products need to be refridgerated? There's nowhere near me selling them but I want to try them (lots of people say they're really good), but there is somewhere near my parents, so I could take some back in my suitcase but they'd be in there 4+ hours.

They need to be kept in the fridge, but they'll be fine for a few hours out of the fridge. If you can, keep them in an insulated lunchbox or similar. I bought some at a veg festival on a hot day, put the, in a rucksack, and got them into a fridge about three hours later. They were fine.

Supermarkets and other shops like Iceland sell freezer bags, and if it's a hot day (what am I thinking - this is England!!) you could just fill some bottles with water and freeze them whilst at your parents, and then pack them around the Vegusto for the journey home.

I carry lots of chilled stuff when I travel back to France.

I just place the items in the fridge or even freezer and pack them into my suitcase, usually in the middle. Everything is still chilled when I get back overhere and the journey is far longer than 4 hours.

If you've been searching for frozen veggie soya mince in supermarkets (Linda McCartney and own brands) and wondering why you can't find any at all, here's the reason:

Here's an article from the Grocer magazine which explains why all veggie soya mince has been recalled and not yet restocked: http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/companie...s-remain-withdrawn-from-market/347458.article

There was a story going around that it was recalled because they found pork in it, but that just appears to be a rumour, probably started by a meat-eater!

ooooooooooooohhhh that explains why i havent found it. sainsburys own brand was vanished too. i dont eat much fake meat, but do like the mince in a lasagne every now and then

I was really struggling to find mince too! Sainsbury's told me it was due to rebranding, and Tesco never responded.

If people just have to have it for a recipe, H&B have a dried version that you can rehydrate with water/stock/red wine, and redwoods still have theirs.

I was really struggling to find mince too! Sainsbury's told me it was due to rebranding, and Tesco never responded.

If people just have to have it for a recipe, H&B have a dried version that you can rehydrate with water/stock/red wine, and redwoods still have theirs.

That sounds like a good idea, and sounds probably cheaper and easier to store too. I'll raid H&Bs

I just wish it was better news!

I do use the dried mince sometimes, but I preferred the frozen. It looks like it will quite a while before it comes back. The good news is that the mince was one of the most popular meat-free products, so it will be coming back.

I really dislike dried mince, I thought it was inedible. I'm just squishing up and rolling sausages into meatballs for my spag bol now :D

My mum squished up vegan sausages, squished them around a ball of garlic mushrooms, coated in breadcrumbs (stuck on with cornflour and water paste) and deep fat fried to make vegan "scotch eggs" (they were making vegetarian scotch eggs for themselves also) :D It was REALLY good.

Reactions: AeryFairy