UK Product Thread

I definitely think it is a minority of people who feel ill on Quorn, my brother used to feel the same way and we have been to Chinese restaurants and both been ill because of the MSG. Some people are just sensitive I suppose.

I'm still glad that they are making a vegan version of Quorn and I will try it when it arrives here in the UK.:)

Reactions: ledboots
I gather Quorn contains a complete set of the essential amino acids(complete protein).

I will probably try most things that they make that are vegan, except fishy stuff..I don't like fishy stuff...

I gather Quorn contains a complete set of the essential amino acids(complete protein).

I will probably try most things that they make that are vegan, except fishy stuff..I don't like fishy stuff...

Same here, as I'm under the impression they would taste like seaweed which I dislike.

I had some veg*n fish fingers once. I didn't like them, I don't like that fishy taste...I don't like prawn cocktail crisps either.

I wonder how they obtain the fish flavour ? Do you think it is made with seaweed extract ?

I don't know; I always thought some kind of algae.

I'm going off Vegusto a bit; it is just too cheesy.....I preferred more mild cheeses as a laco-ovo....I think I'll go back to Sheese.

I like the mild Sheese.

It's funny, what I really wanted was a cheesy vegan cheese....what I was hoping for were vegan Wotsits.

warning: Tesco's 'value' mincepies(Tesco Everyday Value Mince Pies 6Pk) aren't vegan this year(whey).
mincepies 001.jpg

They were vegan last year, I'm pretty sure.

On the Tesco website they didn't have the ingredients, so I just bought one packet with Tesco delivery...I suppose I will just give them to someone.
Not having milk in a product is one way they make a product a 'value' food, well used to anyway.....punish the poor.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
warning: Tesco's 'value' mincepies(Tesco Everyday Value Mince Pies 6Pk) aren't vegan this year(whey).
View attachment 3781

They were vegan last year, I'm pretty sure.

On the Tesco website they didn't have the ingredients, so I just bought one packet with Tesco delivery...I suppose I will just give them to someone.
Not having milk in a product is one way they make a product a 'value' food, well used to anyway.....punish the poor.:rolleyes:

I love, love mincepies. I know that Sainsbury's are omni as they contain suet. I didn't realise that other shops sell vegan mince pies. What a shame that Tesco's have started to add milk to the recipe !

You'll have to make your own batch this year Blob !

Edit :

Asda's seem to be vegan. It says suitable for Vegetarians, however I didn't see any dairy in the list of ingredients.

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml#/product/80067677

5051413270196_500000_IDShot_3.jpeg

Reactions: SummerRain
I have a co-op vegan christmas pudding since it was on offer a few weeks ago. It's a special one too, like... the co-op finest or whatever it's called.

Excited. I eat so much christmas pudding, mostly because it's one of the few deserts you can buy vegan ones of in normal shops, so everybody buys it for me when I visit. Not complaining though :drool:.

I want to make a figgy pudding myself this year too though. I wonder if that will be too much pudding.

:D
I have a co-op vegan christmas pudding since it was on offer a few weeks ago. It's a special one too, like... the co-op finest or whatever it's called.

Excited. I eat so much christmas pudding, mostly because it's one of the few deserts you can buy vegan ones of in normal shops, so everybody buys it for me when I visit. Not complaining though :drool:.

I want to make a figgy pudding myself this year too though. I wonder if that will be too much pudding.

I wouldn't neither ! I love Christmas pudding and did buy one at sainsbug's last year. It looks like I'll have to make one this year.

I didnt know christmas pudding was vegan, interesting. i havent had it since turning vegan since i presumed it was full of eggs and milk.

They aren't always - but lots of supermarket own ones are vegan (I think most of the own-brand ones are, some of the luxury ones have eggs/butter in them). Traditionally it wouldn't be vegetarian as it'd use animal suet, but many traditional suet recipes (like spotted dick, christmas pudding, etc) will use suet, flour, fruit, sugar and milk so it's easy to veganise with vegetarian suet and vegan milk, and commercially they're unlikely to use milk products.

I didnt know christmas pudding was vegan, interesting. i havent had it since turning vegan since i presumed it was full of eggs and milk.

The traditional recipe is omni due to the suet. It also contains eggs however no milk, as it usually has ale in the list of wet ingredients.

They aren't always - but lots of supermarket own ones are vegan (I think most of the own-brand ones are, some of the luxury ones have eggs/butter in them). Traditionally it wouldn't be vegetarian as it'd use animal suet, but many traditional suet recipes (like spotted dick, christmas pudding, etc) will use suet, flour, fruit, sugar and milk so it's easy to veganise with vegetarian suet and vegan milk, and commercially they're unlikely to use milk products.

Yes, the luxury ones all contain eggs as they are more or less using the traditional recipe. I found a vegan CP on-line at Tesco's:
I'm going to have to make my own one this year as I'm not planning to travel to the UK before Christmas..

This thread is really a life saver !

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256140171

I had a craving for the mock meat at The Loving Hut so I was thinking of ordering the Biona seitan pieces from Amazon, it's about a tenner for three jars which will be a bit expensive if I don't like the taste!

The traditional recipe is omni due to the suet. It also contains eggs however no milk, as it usually has ale in the list of wet ingredients.

Yes, the luxury ones all contain eggs as they are more or less using the traditional recipe. I found a vegan CP on-line at Tesco's:
I'm going to have to make my own one this year as I'm not planning to travel to the UK before Christmas..

This thread is really a life saver !

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256140171

Slightly off-topic, but my future mother in law gave me her family Christmas pudding recipe. It's over 100 years old, and it's always been vegan :D

Slightly off-topic, but my future mother in law gave me her family Christmas pudding recipe. It's over 100 years old, and it's always been vegan :D

I also think that eggs are not needed for this kind of recipe as they only add moisture. Christmas pudding is very dense and stody so you can get away with not adding eggs.
These vegan marshmallows are quite nice:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi...m_Strawberry_Vegetarian_Marshmallows_75g.html
665101b.jpg

I never ate that many marshmallows before I found out about gelatine, but these seem pretty similar.

The packet is very cleverly designed.

I bought a vego bar! it is HUGE, you could probably kill someone with it. gonna save it til xmas though.

I also got the vegan tuck box xmas edition, because its no fun watching other people stuff their faces at xmas and not being able to join in. Sugar ban is going out the window for that week haha. I goooot:

Holy Cow luxury vegan chocolates (they look like truffles)
some raspberry flavoured chocolates
Pffeffernusse (??? biscuits that are kinda biscotti esque? No english label)
The Christmas Candy Originals - sweeet relish of biscuit flavour (uuummmm not sure what these are either. mini biscuits? has a gingerbread man on the box)
A Twilight bar (yaaaaaaaaaaaaay favourite chocolate bar)
Spiced Orange Delight by Hipo hyfryd
a Schoko Lolly (I think this is a chocolate lolly, because it has kakaomasse in it, and that sounds like cocoa mass)
Raw chocolate goji berries (that doesnt sound nice)
some kind of giant flapjack shaped like a star, no brand and just german writing
a red and white stripey candy cane

Im a little disappointed as I'm not a massive fan of chocolate, was hoping for more sweeties (candy cane doesnt count, i hate mint anything), but happy that there's nothing I'm allergic to. Also happy that I've only eaten one of the products before - the twilight bar. It was SO FUN opening it all though, I felt like a kid at christmas *bobom tish*. makes me want to buy a box again just to open it.

Also I saw in Holland and Barrett they do Plamil brand little chocolate snowmen. Expensive but good for decorating cakes or feeding kiddies. Theyre also really cute. http://www.plamilfoods.co.uk/season...irtrade-alternative-to-milk-chocolate-snowmen