Rapeseed Oil

it's the oil I took to France, in the 90s, to put on bread. I've preferred it since then.

I think it is used for animal feed as well.

Interesting. It's a good oil. The article didn't talk about the problem with too much omega-6 and too little omega-3 in our diet. Rapeseed oil is good in that respect, better than most of the alternatives.

I am intrigued...as I always am about trying new things. I'm wondering where I can buy the good stuff and trust that it is the high quality stuff and not a knockoff version.

Maybe Whole Foods or Trader Joe...

If anyone in the U.S. has tried a brand they like, pass along the info. :)

(I'm not in the UK forum, am I? I always forget to check until it's too late, muahahaha! [emoji33])

Last edited:
well it can only be a good thing that Jamie Oliver doesn't splather everything with olive oil in the future.

Yes, @KLS52, I've struggled to find good quality rapeseed oil when I've been in the US.

I'm not sure how bad the cheap, low quality rapeseed oil is, though.

The rapeseed oil I took to France in the 90s tasted fine; it wasn't special oil; coldpressed or anything. It tasted pleasantly nutty.

Why where you taking rapeseed oil to France, Blobb ?

me and someone I knew from school hitch-hiked for a couple of weeks. I thought oil would be good as a sub for margarine. We just slept out beneath the stars....I just grabbed some oil off the shelves in England, and it happened to be rapeseed oil....been a fan ever since. I don't think I'd even heard of it before then.

me and someone I knew from school hitch-hiked for a couple of weeks. I thought oil would be good as a sub for margarine. We just slept out beneath the stars....I just grabbed some oil off the shelves in England, and it happened to be rapeseed oil....been a fan ever since. I don't think I'd even heard of it before then.

I see. ;)

We have so many rapeseed fields in the UK, which are so spectacular.

the other year, I walked through one a bit.....you get yellow powder on you.
I though it would be a good place to have a picnic; in the middle of one.....not that the farmer would be that pleased about that.

the other year, I walked through one a bit.....you get yellow powder on you.
I though it would be a good place to have a picnic; in the middle of one.....not that the farmer would be that pleased about that.

That sounds nice. The last time that I was close to a rapeseed field was in either Oxfordshire or Northants. The fields stretched out for miles and looked beautiful.

canolafields07-640x426.png
Canola-Flower-Fields-China-landscape.jpg
canolafields06-640x426.png

In China.
Exotic Views: Canola Flower Fields, China

I have to run to my local supermarket...I'm going to see if they have a small bottle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, in case I decide I don't like it. Hate throwing money away!

I have to run to my local supermarket...I'm going to see if they have a small bottle that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, in case I decide I don't like it. Hate throwing money away!
My impression is that they don't taste much, neither the cheap nor the coldpressed, more expensive ones. I certainly haven't noticed any nutty flavour, as suggested in that article in the OP, but maybe my taste buds aren't the best?

well, when I first had it I would have described it as having a nutty flavour, even though I had never heard of it, or read anything about it. But now, I'm not so sure....I am a lot older and probably my taste isn't as acute.

So it sounds like I just need to try some to see if I like it.

If I like it, all's well...if I don't, I might try one more time with a better quality one and see if there's a difference.

shyvas turned me onto pistachio oil...love that for salads. :)