The Cat Lovers Thread

This is Vincent. He is a stray that is clearly a brother of at least 3 other tuxedo cats we have had. He showed up in the spring of 2016. We got him fixed and then shortly after that he disappeared. Well...he's back. After 20 months. I'm pretty sure he found a portal to another dimension - because he hasn't got a scratch on him. Looks as good as the day he left. I opened the door and he walked right in like he owned the place.

View attachment 13583

Wow, that's GREAT news.

I would like to make some (easy) toys for the stray kitties in the neighbourhood as I feel so sorry for them.

There are two small bushes with branches on them and the mites love to jump and play on them. Besides cardboard toilet rolls, I don't have any other material to make toys. Does anyone have any ideas ?
I agree with the folks who have said their cats are completely satisfied with cheap, simple toys you can make for nothing- in my experience, they'll play with toys you buy, but are just as happy with wads of paper, cardboard boxes, paper bags, and shoelaces. Like Karen says, they usually want someone playing with them- but I find that bags and boxes fascinate them anyway.

BUT.... one note about shoelaces: one day I was laying on my bed and my cat Crystal jumped up on the bed and came over on my chest. She seemed to be sort of gagging or chewing something, so I pulled it out of her mouth... Turns out she had started swallowing a leather shoelace from a workshoe and was having trouble spitting it out. As soon as I pulled it out she was fine. But in all the years I had used string or shoelaces to play with cats, that had never happened. After that, I was careful to not leave such things around the house. I was just glad it happened when I was home, and that she trusted me enough to come right to me when she was having trouble.

I don't see how a big cardboard box (unless it had big staples or lots of tape they might swallow), wads of paper, cardboard tubes, or paper bags could harm a cat though. (and it would be JUST LIKE cats to figure out a way to do just that!!! Tell me I'm wrong!)

I’ve had the same problem with string, shoelaces, etc. Joon started to swallow the string (fleece) from the cat dancer toy. Almost half of it was down her throat. I ended up having to cut a large piece of it off because it was saturated with her saliva. *gross*
I also try to be very vigilant about not leaving anything like that around, especially when I’m not home. She freaked me out.
B612D10B-02FC-4075-A01E-E86A7C912DCB.jpeg

Rubber bands and strings are evil! I cut them up into little bits and am sure to throw in the bottom of the trash!
Those jute wrapped scratching posts are great, but they definitely need to be cleaned of loose fibers

Reactions: KLS52
I recently made another cat toy out of strips of (clean) potato chip bag... the Kettle brand bags are incredibly tough. I stuck the strips in a row on bright orange duct tape, put another strip of tape over that, ended up with a little grass skirt of sorts... then taped that around a bamboo dowel. Cat wand! :)

LC & Minxy go nuts for it.... and LC adores chewing on the "fronds".... they're super tough, though, and they're not coming off. :up:

0cafcd53f8de7634aaa190bc7c3bdcd1--cat-cat-kitty-cats.jpg

Adorable. Stella and Joon are the only two out of my four, who make biscuits on me. Ben will do it with the fleece blankets. Bratt, well...is a just a brat. He has to lay on me and cuddle but no biscuit making.

I've always wanted to name a cat Baker for that reason! Funny, my list of names for the rescue cats never produced one :(.
When Sophie kneads me it feels more like she's wanting to remove my kidney!

Callie, the eternal baby cat, is the one with that has the most daily habits. She would sit between me and the arm of the couch, and Dana would sit on my other side, every morning. Dana has decided to sit on Callies side so Callie got fed up and sat right on top of Dana! Funny! Dana gets all pissy

Guys nasal tumor is growing. I feel so helpless because the vet says there isn't any good treatment, other than occasional antibiotic shots to keep infections at bay

Stella is my biggest deterrent when I’m trying to use the computer or type/text with my phone, like right now, lol.

This is Little D. His family lost their home and had to move in with other family and couldn’t take him. My friend and coworker took him in until his family can find permanent housing. It’s been several months now and he went from hiding out in the basement to taking over my friend’s house. He even bosses around her two huge dogs...standard poodle and labradoodle. I’m so happy for him.
A9E9CBBB-8D73-4345-A153-545150ADCD78.jpeg