The Cat Lovers Thread

She’s so pretty! And yay that you were able to do the treatment. :)

Mimi is scheduled to have ear polyp surgery this Monday! She had a really bad infection that was treated for - months?- with antibiotics and while it got better, not completely. The vet can't be 100% but really suspects a polyp. I delayed, but now it seems to be coming back. She says without getting it removed she'll have constant infections. Only a couple hospitals do that kind of surgery, and she'll have to spend the night. They gave me an estimate of $3500. :eek: ! I think my dental implant cost that much too.

Momo is my second cat with a nasal tumor. It's large now, but she's still eating well and being her normal self so we're taking things as they come. There's nothing more that can be done :(

Momo and her older kittens were the last cats we'd taken in, having rescued them myself. Mo was already pregnant again, and she was obviously thrown out as she was quite domestic. Her two kittens were obviously born in the wild, and took a lonnnnnggg time to get used to people. Momo then had 6 kittens, which were all easily adopted :rolleyes:
She was Mama for some time before we changed her name.

Mimi is scheduled to have ear polyp surgery this Monday! She had a really bad infection that was treated for - months?- with antibiotics and while it got better, not completely. The vet can't be 100% but really suspects a polyp. I delayed, but now it seems to be coming back. She says without getting it removed she'll have constant infections. Only a couple hospitals do that kind of surgery, and she'll have to spend the night. They gave me an estimate of $3500. :eek: ! I think my dental implant cost that much too.

Momo is my second cat with a nasal tumor. It's large now, but she's still eating well and being her normal self so we're taking things as they come. There's nothing more that can be done :(

Momo and her older kittens were the last cats we'd taken in, having rescued them myself. Mo was already pregnant again, and she was obviously thrown out as she was quite domestic. Her two kittens were obviously born in the wild, and took a lonnnnnggg time to get used to people. Momo then had 6 kittens, which were all easily adopted :rolleyes:
So sorry you have to go through all of these...:( :hug:

Last edited:

I hope she will be okay.xxx

I feel your pain. Bratt’s timing with the broken leg couldn’t have been better. We had just refinanced to pay some back taxes so I had some money and paid the balance with care credit. I try not to divulge the amount too often...it’s almost embarrassing. But Bratt’s leg cost just over 10k. If it happened at any other time he probably would have been put down. I try not to think about it because it turned out ok.

You never expect these kinds of things to happen when you take in an animal. And it can make life really hard. As I approach retirement, from my job, I have to think long and hard on what I’m going to do when I don’t have these four monsters. I can’t picture life without a cat, but maybe I have to settle for just one and see if I can afford pet insurance.

I hope both cats do ok. :hug:

We were wondering whether to get pet insurance for our cats as they aren't covered. We only did the dogs as their vet treatment is usually more expensive. Two of my cats are almost 13 and the other is nearly 10 now and I was wondering if it was worth it for older cats. The insurers don't pay out for certain conditions either.

I have insurance for Ben because he’s a noisy breather and I when I got him, he was almost three. I had flashbacks to Bogart and all of the problems I had with him and the chronic sinusitis. I feel like it’s too late now for the others. Stella nd Bratt have pre-existing conditions. Joon would be the only other one I guess I could consider.

I wanted to mention this brand of catnip that I just bought to all of you cat people: Cat Weed. I usually buy Frontier catnip, but the recent reviews on Amazon have been iffy, leading me to believe that it might be an inferior, counterfeit catnip, so I ordered some Frontier from iHerb instead. Problem was, that won't arrive until next week, and I didn't want to wait, as I have two critically ill cats, and this Cat Weed brand had excellent reviews on Amazon.

It came yesterday, and seems to be really potent stuff. I had some zonked out kitties last night. :p

Emily (she's not one of the sick ones), who is a sweet little fluffy girly-girl whom I bottle raised from birth, has to be given her own supply of catnip away from everyone else, because she turns into Gollum with her Precious.

Anyway, I recommend this brand of catnip - fresh and potent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val
They've got mad skills
I wanted to mention this brand of catnip that I just bought to all of you cat people: Cat Weed. I usually buy Frontier catnip, but the recent reviews on Amazon have been iffy, leading me to believe that it might be an inferior, counterfeit catnip, so I ordered some Frontier from iHerb instead. Problem was, that won't arrive until next week, and I didn't want to wait, as I have two critically ill cats, and this Cat Weed brand had excellent reviews on Amazon.

It came yesterday, and seems to be really potent stuff. I had some zonked out kitties last night. :p

Emily (she's not one of the sick ones), who is a sweet little fluffy girly-girl whom I bottle raised from birth, has to be given her own supply of catnip away from everyone else, because she turns into Gollum with her Precious.

Anyway, I recommend this brand of catnip - fresh and potent.
You have one with a nasal tumor? Momos' growing fast now and her breathing is wheezy and congested. She's still eating drinking and getting around just fine, still very sociable. My son and I are so divided over her quality of life! He feels she's suffering while I think she's holding her own very well. She has no signs of pain, although we have cut out her pills as it too hard with the growth. We have the checklist to help.

They've got mad skills

You have one with a nasal tumor? Momos' growing fast now and her breathing is wheezy and congested. She's still eating drinking and getting around just fine, still very sociable. My son and I are so divided over her quality of life! He feels she's suffering while I think she's holding her own very well. She has no signs of pain, although we have cut out her pills as it too hard with the growth. We have the checklist to help.

Yes, Doc is the one with the nasal tumor. I'm treating it as a day-to-day issue. He's eating, acting normally, but I'm concerned about him aspirating mucous into his lungs again. We were doing Baytril two weeks on, two weeks off, to keep the mucous production minimuzed, but a month ago, I decided to keep him on Baytril all the time because the mucous got so bad as soon as he came off the Baytril.

My other cat who is critical is Shiloh. He has chronic awful diarrhea that nothing seems to control or modify. We've tried everything. He's still affectionate, alert, and acting fairly normal, but it's day-to-day with him too.

It's really been getting to me emotionally. You know how difficult it is, trying to figure out on a daily basis whether you're doing the right thing for them. And the more you worry about them, the more emotionally dependent they seem to become. That trust is an awful burden.

Shiloh and Doc are two of the four cats who sleep with me. (The others are not terribly fond of Gracie, the dog who sleeps with me.) Serenity, one of the other two cats who sleeps with me, is over twenty, and while she's going extremely strong at the moment, she's also one I watch constantly. My bed is going to seem awfully empty soon.

image: http://www.thefutoncritic.com/images/global/header_news.jpg

header_news.jpg

[08/13/18 - 06:48 AM]
Jackson Galaxy Returns with an All-New Season of "My Cat from Hell"
This season, Jackson goes far and wide across the U.S. to get up-close and personal with all-new families with all-new stories as he tries to rehabilitate felines with behavioral issues and the cat owners who don't understand them.
[via press release from Animal Planet]
JACKSON GALAXY RETURNS WITH AN ALL-NEW SEASON OF "MY CAT FROM HELL"

New Season Premieres Saturday, September 1st, 2018 at 8PM ET/PT

Animal Planet reveals both the heavenly and the hellish as The Cat Daddy himself, Jackson Galaxy, returns in MY CAT FROM HELL Saturday, September 1 at 8PM ET/PT. This season, Jackson goes far and wide across the U.S. to get up-close and personal with all-new families with all-new stories as he tries to rehabilitate felines with behavioral issues and the cat owners who don't understand them. The season kicks off with back-to-back episodes and will continue each Saturday night.

During the season, Jackson will face one of his greatest cat challenges when an old friend and animal welfare expert enlists his help to create a community movement and to recruit a new generation of volunteers to save feral cats in Philadelphia. Other stories include Jackson helping to shine a light on a prison program called Meow Mates that integrates foster cats into corrections facilities to help rehabilitate inmates; and working with a foster guardian desperate to save a cat from being euthanized in an episode with one of the most miraculous MY CAT FROM HELL outcomes in the history of the series.

Additional stories this season include Jackson coming to the aid of a Delaware-based veteran suffering from PTSD whose therapy cat seems to bring him far more stress than comfort, and a high stakes situation where Jackson encounters the vicious claws of a troubled cat terrorizing a family as they are about to bring home a newborn baby.

MY CAT FROM HELL audiences can check out the mid-form companion series on social media, My Cat from Heaven, featuring more inspirational and feel-good stories. This is a season where Jackson connects with remarkable cats in some of the most extreme circumstances, leading to incredibly heartwarming experiences, both for him and the cat guardians he encounters along the way.

MY CAT FROM HELL is produced for Animal Planet by 3 Ball Entertainment. Pat Dempsey is the producer for Animal Planet. Todd A. Nelson, JD Roth, Ross Weintraub and Jeff Altrock are executive producers for 3 Ball Entertainment, with Michael O'Connor serving as co-executive producer. Jackson Galaxy is also an executive producer.

Read more at Breaking News - Jackson Galaxy Returns with an All-New Season of "My Cat from Hell" | TheFutonCritic.com

Welcome our latest family member, « Alaska »!

474C6D31-7AEE-470F-84F2-876B46EF26C2.jpeg

Alaska is "kind of" a rescue ... She was living with a good friend of us (who got her from a breeder), but her son is now out of the house and studying abroad, and she has to often leave on extended business trips to Asia.

While an employee of her company then daily visits the house to feed the cat and clean the kitty litter, this is of course not optimal for a cat. So when we moved to our new house, our friend asked us whether we would be ready to give Alaska a new home with more human interaction, and we happily agreed. She is an indoor cat (although she longingly looks out of the window and tries to convince us to open the terrace door for her).

She is still a bit shy and not used to living in a household full of noisy humans.

0AA2E155-1693-421A-B282-B47B47FAFDDF.jpeg

Of course she knows that having a good view of the surroundings is very important!

A5230C3E-D5FD-4DBE-97BB-119A45B9D060.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome our latest family member, « Alaska »!

View attachment 14867

Alaska is "kind of" a rescue ... She was living with a good friend of us (who got her from a breeder), but her son is now out of the house and studying abroad, and she has to often leave on extended business trips to Asia.

While an employee of her company then daily visits the house to feed the cat and clean the kitty litter, this is of course not optimal for a cat. So when we moved to our new house, our friend asked us whether we would be ready to give Alaska a new home with more human interaction, and we happily agreed. She is an indoor cat (although she longingly looks out of the window and tries to convince us to open the terrace door for her).

She is still a bit shy and not used to living in a household full of noisy humans.

View attachment 14866

Of course she knows that having a good view of the surroundings is very important!

View attachment 14868
What a lovely kitty!:kitty: She's lucky to have you as a parent now.:up:
P.S. You've got a piano?:p Cool... Who's playing it?:)

Originally my wife started to take piano lessons when we were living in Malaysia (where we got the Piano), but now mainly my son is actively playing it. I also tried it a bit, and was surprised that after 30+ years since my last piano lessons, something came back, but still, not enough to start again...

Piano is the favourite of music schools everywhere, Yamaha U3, made in the 1960's according to the serial number, but looks like it was still new.

Reactions: Chryssie and Val