NSFW THE TRUMPOCALYPSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today’s cartoon, by Jeremy Nguyen:

DC010518.jpg

'A Very Stable Genius': Trump Responds To Renewed Criticism Of His Mental State

A Year Has Gone by, But Trump Is Still Here and Even More Dangerous

http://www.mlive.com/news/us-world/index.ssf/2018/01 /president_trump_roasted_on_twi.html#incart_river_home :lol:

People Had The Best Jokes After Trump Claimed He's "Like, Really Smart" And "A Very Stable Genius"

DS5p_1DX4AIQVQv.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: FortyTwo

Trump is a well-known paranoid germaphobe. He’s afraid of everyone’s cooties. He’ll only shake hands with someone if he can use the move to demonstrate his superiority over them. I’ve read that he patronizes McDonald’s because he’s afraid of being poisoned and thinks unannounced visits will avoid that.

In any case, I just found this;

Trump Makes White House Staff, Interns Buy ‘Fire And Fury’ Books To ‘Dispose Of Them,’ But Forgets PDF, Kindle

It’s just internet gossip, for now, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it turned out to be true. I bought my copy from iBooks, and it was at #1 in the “paid” section. People who didn’t want to wait for the physical book to arrive just went ahead and bought the digital version.

Last edited:
I was just watching a TV programme where they were talking about the book.

He is supposed to go to bed in the White House at 6.30 pm and eat cheeseburgers and watch three TVs at once.:rofl:

Trump is a well-known paranoid germaphobe. He’s afraid of everyone’s cooties. He’ll only shake hands with someone if he can use the move to demonstrate his superiority over them. I’ve read that he patronizes McDonald’s because he’s afraid of being poisoned and thinks unannounced visits will avoid that.

I heard that same thing yesterday.

Trump is a well-known paranoid germaphobe. He’s afraid of everyone’s cooties.
His "germophobia" is well-publicized... but that photo clearly depicts an utter dolt who can't seem to figure out what the hell is going on.... :???: LOL

Last edited:
Read this interesting criticism today that more or less confirms my own uneasiness about this book (based on what I have heard about it) getting touted everywhere as an incredible document of truth and justice (which I definitely don't think it is, it's a half-precise inside account by a vain gossip monger referring to himself as "journalist")

Am reposting it here in its entirety, as I understand not everybody has access to Facebook:

Cary Gabriel Costello said:
So, I've now read Fire and Fury, and I found it . . . problematic.

Yes, it's a takedown of Trump and his highly dysfunctional administration. It lays out the incompetence of Trump to govern. He's an arrogant, petulant toddler with an insatiable appetite for adulation, zero tolerance for critique, and a whopping case of Dunning Kruger when it comes to his lack of knowledge of national or world affairs. But this is not new information. I learned a few things--Trump basically equates receiving a briefing with being lectured at, which he equates with being condescended to, which he cannot tolerate. But at this point I don't know how much more insight into Trump's character there is to be delivered. And I don't think it's really healthy for us to become obsessed with his every quirk. I feel like I can see myself and whole swaths of the nation acting like abuse victims who obsess over our abuser's motivations and moods, seeking to gain some control over the situation--but that's not a path to agency. It's doing what the abuser wants: making him the constant focus of our energies.

The thing that makes the book a page-turner is that it describes in juicy detail the battle for influence between the factions in Trump's inner circle. There's "the kids" (Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner), the Bannonites, and the establishment Republicans, engaging in ongoing, convoluted battles for power--kind of like Game of Thrones but with unflattering leaks to the media as the weapons. (Fire and Fury even sounds like a totally plausible title for a season of Game of Thrones.) Yes, it's admittedly compelling to follow the twists and turns, read the various insults and disses, and the fact that this is real life more than compensates for the lack of dragons and greatswords. Instead of a fantasy world, we get a Washington gossip column. What makes it compelling is that this alternately farcical and ugly battle has been producing national policy for a year, in a manner at best erratic and at worst dangerously incoherent. This too is something people following the news regularly already know. But Wolff is good at handing out juicy little tidbits of information that kept me turning the pages. You can't help but gape at the level of incompetence of so many of the players.

The thing is, this gossip-column approach is really problematic. Gossip columns are meant to entertain, to build celebrity culture, and to foster adulation and schadenfreude equally. And approaching the Trump presidency as newsertainment is disturbing to me; it seems almost a form of collaboration. Because the book paints Trump et al. in an unflattering light, it's being framed as "liberal." But I don't think it is. To the extent Wolff is presenting a critique of Trump and his West Wing, the fault Wolff is pointing out is incompetence. These people don't know how the game is played. They have personality flaws: Ivanka and Jared are naive, Bannon has hubris, Priebus is weak. All of them are self-serving and manipulative, yet ineffective, in their approach to Trump, the most incompetent character of all.

Ultimately, this is a book in the horse-race vein of political coverage, just looking at battles inside the Trump administration instead of at a campaign between candidates. And I'm completely sick of horse-race media coverage. For me, what makes me oppose Trump are issues, and the incompetence of his administration has been a saving disgrace. It's his administration's stance against immigration from places other than Western Europe, the nods to white supremacists, the climate-change denial, the framing of homophobia as religious liberty and transphobia as necessary to national security, etc. etc., that keep me up nights. Yes, the fact that Trump could lead us into nuclear war due to his fragile ego, fragile masculinity, and lack of impulse control is scary stuff. But policies are central to why politics matter, and Wolff doesn't address policies through a moral lens. Politics come across as a game. Wolff actually demonstrates no more interest in policy analysis than the Donald Trump he describes.

This is not a progressive book. In fact, the person who most comes across as a hero in it is Steve Bannon, the smartest and most self-aware character in the book's palace intrigues. And the mainstream media are periodically portrayed as objectively anti-Trump, motivated by elitist disdain, and hysterical in the tone of their reporting on him. These are not positions I'm comfortable with at all.

So. Yes, I'll own that I'm happy to have bought and read a copy of Fire and Fury because that makes me part of a thing that is driving Trump nuts. But that's a petty thing. What really matters to me are the real issues. And one of those issues is that in pursuit of eyeballs, our media have become addicted to horserace political reporting, bothsiderism, and the pursuit of celebrities to fawn at or to mock--all things which contributed substantially to the election of Trump. And Fire and Fury is, I feel, fully in that vein. That's my take, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.