US US Politics 2024

I don't agreed on "undecided", but simply getting people to VOTE, and that's very well what Taylor Swift can help with.
Only reason Obama won, people voted!
Yeah, that is The Thing.
Many Millennias don't vote. And not only are they generally liberal - but many of the Dems key issues apply to them.
So getting out the vote is very important and last time Taylor implored her fans to register - they did - in record breaking numbers. Again she is reminding people to register and I'm guessing she will remind them to vote in November.

I wonder if she will go so far as to allow the Democrats to use one of her songs. And if so... which one.

Oh, at the end of a Post Debate party they played Taylor's The Man. I like it.

A little bit more Taylor

At the MTV's VMAs Taylor said, “The fact this is a fan-voted award and you voted for this, I appreciate it so much,” she told the cheering audience. “And if you are over 18, please register to vote for something else that’s very important coming up: the 2024 presidential election.”

A custom link the pop star shared to Instagram that redirected to Vote.gov had been clicked upwards of 400,000 times in 24 hours, according to the General Services Administration, the agency that oversees the website.​

I have now also watched the full debate and would suggest it to everybody.

Dump came across as a mean old man who basically did not have any arguments and resorted to name calling, while Harris was decidedly presidential and her strongest message was “We’re not going back”.

Like everybody else, I don’t understand how this race can be close.

I heard a great analogy about the people who say that they need to know more about her positions and programs, which was:

On an airplane, the steward comes with two trays and says: “Would you rather have the shards of broken glass doused with rat poison, or the eggplant?”
And the passenger says “Hmm, difficult choice, can you tell me more, how exactly the eggplant is prepared?”

Last edited:
Here's a refreshingly non-partisan but decidedly outsider's view of the debate and the state of US democracy:
Efforts to restore democracy to the United States, a troubled, oil-rich former British colony with a history of political violence, may have suffered a serious setback this week after yet another chaotic presidential debate, some Americanists say.
Full article:
(Opinion piece by Patrick Gathara, Senior Editor for Inclusive Storytelling in The New Humanitarian, 11. September 2024)

• Informative
Reactions: Lou and KLS52
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Two things in particular stand out to me:

"Kamala Harris, the current vice president, who led a palace coup two months ago that forced the ageing, unpopular incumbent, President Joe Biden, to abandon his quest for re-election."

"the failure of the internationally recognised Biden regime to enact crucial electoral reforms to prevent a repeat of the 2020 fiasco".

Here's a refreshingly non-partisan but decidedly outsider's view of the debate and the state of US democracy:

Full article:
(Opinion piece by Patrick Gathara, Senior Editor for Inclusive Storytelling in The New Humanitarian, 11. September 2024)

Never heard the US described as " a troubled, oil-rich former British colony with a history of political violence". I guess its accurate but more that a little derogatory.

the article as a whole seem to be a nice piece of journalism, with a different POV and an accurate summary of events. but the word choice revealed Anti American bias.

"Kamala Harris, the current vice president, who led a palace coup two months ago that forced the ageing, unpopular incumbent, President Joe Biden, to abandon his quest for re-election."
Yes ... "Palace coup" isn't exactly how it was described in the western media, but western media often use such terms to describe events in distant lands. And now I wonder how accurate they are in those instances ...
the article as a whole seem to be a nice piece of journalism, with a different POV and an accurate summary of events. but the word choice revealed Anti American bias.
It's a thought provoking article, for sure, despite or maybe exactly because of the choice of words. Is it anti-American or simply written from a POV distant from US influence? E.g. can we imagine this same/similar POV for a Chinese or Indian author?

Reactions: KLS52 and Lou
Yes ... "Palace coup" isn't exactly how it was described in the western media, but western media often use such terms to describe events in distant lands. And now I wonder how accurate they are in those instances ..
The "white wing Republicans" have described it as a palace coupe. But I wonder why the author is choosing to repeat that wording.

Definition of a coup : a sudden decisive exercise of force in politics and especially the violent overthrow or alteration of an existing government by a small group

That is Not what happened.

The "white wing Republicans" have described it as a palace coupe. But I wonder why the author is choosing to repeat that wording.

Definition of a coup : a sudden decisive exercise of force in politics and especially the violent overthrow or alteration of an existing government by a small group

That is Not what happened.
A palace coup is different - according to the Cambridge Dictionary: "a situation in which a leader is removed from power by the people who have worked with him or her". Which might still be too strong a term, but not that far off.

Reactions: Lou
The stuff on TikTok is absolutely brilliant. I couldn't pull myself away from it. I'm in awe of how creative some people are. Most of it is hilarious.

Yet another repugnant thing from rump at the debate--not even mentioned in news---
"that she put out"----from a man accused of rape from over 30 women, as well as convicted before a jury

OK, that was really good--and love that it is going to charity.
I wish it were as funny as it should be, but magats take every stupid lie rump promotes and expands on it--I remember the picture of the man with the geese--he was removing dead geese from the park. It had been a viral thing of an immigrant killing them, but was verified as false when it first came out. The magats don't believe in truth,, they seem to feel if rump says something it magically becomes true, and they, his disciples, have to back up whatever he says.
It's the scariest thing about him, and why I believe republicans turn against him, he doesn't vet anything, doesn't think, just acts as an impulsive child and his followers are cultists