Vegan frozen yogurt at TCBY? Get out!

I see ! I was wondering why it doesn't have the V label ? :D

Labeling of vegetarian and vegan products here in the US is strictly voluntary for companies. There is no law that I know of requiring labeling of veg/veg foods. That's why you'll see the V on some veg*an products and not on other veg*an products. It makes it harder for consumers because you have to look at the ingredients lists to determine if something is veg*an. OTOH, this forces consumers to actually look at the ingredients lists (although some of us still fail on that on occasion :p ) and figure out what the hell is in the food we're about to buy. This also forces us to learn what this crap is, such as Carmine, etc.

Reactions: sleepydvdr
Labeling of vegetarian and vegan products here in the US is strictly voluntary for companies. There is no law that I know of requiring labeling of veg/veg foods. That's why you'll see the V on some veg*an products and not on other veg*an products. It makes it harder for consumers because you have to look at the ingredients lists to determine if something is veg*an. OTOH, this forces consumers to actually look at the ingredients lists (although some of us still fail on that on occasion :p ) and figure out what the hell is in the food we're about to buy. This also forces us to learn what this crap is, such as Carmine, etc.

I would have just thought that putting the V would have made it easier for Vegans to know that they can consume the product. I would have imagined that companies do not have to state whether their products are vegan.

Overhere, it is the same thing. There are a few V products but the information is never stated on the label ; it would frighten the omnis off. :D

Reactions: thefadedone
There is a TCBY 13 miles from me. I will have to check to see whether it serves the nondairy version. I want to try it.

Reactions: KLS52 and shyvas
Got a response already! Good to know they are already thinking about more flavors! Happy, happy.

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail our Customer Service Department and for your interest in TCBY.
Since our Glastonbury location is one of our traditional stores, it would have been sent some of our new Silk Chocolate Almond Frozen Yogurt. However, the product has been selling really quickly, so you may want to check with the store directly to make sure that they still have some left.
We didn't realize how popular this new flavor was going to be, but we are currently producing some more for our stores.
If your local store is out of the product, they should be able to order it again within the next two weeks.
If you have any further comments or questions about TCBY, please do not hesitate to contact us again through our Web site at www.tcby.com.

Thank you for contacting TCBY.
Robert Schicker
Retail Customer Service
TCBY

Got a response already! Good to know they are already thinking about more flavors! Happy, happy.

It looks like Robert Schiker is going to be promoted due to the huge workload that our e mails are promoting. :D

Prehaps we could suggest that he be the CS manager of the Vegan department ?:up:

Reading these comments, especially the response that PTree15 received saying these vegan friendly products are selling better than they expected, is a very good thing. If TCBY is successful, then Dairy Queen will counter with diary free products and then we will see a domino effect and these kinds of product could become standard fare.

Now I'm craving ice cream.

This is not only a victory for vegans, but a lesson for all businesses: Never underestimate what your customers might want. :D

To follow up: When someone speaking for a certain restaurant, restaurant chain or food company says "We don't have veg*an foods on offer because veg*ans aren't the kind of customers we get", what they really mean is "Those aren't the kind of customers we WANT." Any business that seriously wants to expand their customer base knows that all they have to do is add a Boca burger and/or a nondairy sorbet to their menu and they'll get more customers.

Reactions: PTree15
Reading these comments, especially the response that PTree15 received saying these vegan friendly products are selling better than they expected, is a very good thing. If TCBY is successful, then Dairy Queen will counter with diary free products and then we will see a domino effect and these kinds of product could become standard fare.

Now I'm craving ice cream.
Oh, man, I admit to missing DQ. Imagine a vegan blizzard... *drools*

To follow up: When someone speaking for a certain restaurant, restaurant chain or food company says "We don't have veg*an foods on offer because veg*ans aren't the kind of customers we get", what they really mean is "Those aren't the kind of customers we WANT." Any business that seriously wants to expand their customer base knows that all they have to do is add a Boca burger and/or a nondairy sorbet to their menu and they'll get more customers.
Not always. It costs money to add an item to a menu. If a company feels they won't sell enough to make it worth it, they won't add it. It's not like vegans' money isn't good to them - they just don't always think it will sell. Some places have tried, and it wasnt a success. It's growing in popularity, but I see why a lot of companies are still scared.

Although I'm sure TCBY is happy to sell this to vegans, I suspect it's not specifically labelled or advertised as vegan because they're going after lactose-intolerant customers.

Labeling something "vegan" here can scare away potential customers who think vegan food is bland or bad. "Non-dairy," however, draws in people who are avoiding milk for other reasons, and are a bigger market segment than vegans.

Reactions: KLS52
Although I'm sure TCBY is happy to sell this to vegans, I suspect it's not specifically labelled or advertised as vegan because they're going after lactose-intolerant customers.

Labeling something "vegan" here can scare away potential customers who think vegan food is bland or bad. "Non-dairy," however, draws in people who are avoiding milk for other reasons, and are a bigger market segment than vegans.
Indeed, I run into this at work a lot. On the occasions when the cafeteria offers something vegan, it's often labeled vegetarian, I think for the same reasons of not wanting to scare people away. I often then have to ask if the particular dish has any dairy, eggs, etc., and most times it doesn't. I'm happy they at least offer vegan food besides salad and steamed veggies on occasion.

Reactions: Amy SF