Literature What are you currently reading?

I'll have to read some of his works. I know the Harrison Ford movie "Blade Runner" is based on Dick's novel: "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?" I've been familiar with his name, but somehow never got around to reading anything by him. So long as it's not too depressing/dark, and not about some sort of space war, I think I'll enjoy his work.

Also, the two "Total Recall" movies are based on his story "We can remember it for you wholesale", also, "Minority Report" and the new series "The Man in the High Castle" are based on his stories.

Also, the two "Total Recall" movies are based on his story "We can remember it for you wholesale", also, "Minority Report" and the new series "The Man in the High Castle" are based on his stories.
There's also a series called "Electric Dreams" where each episode is based off one of his short stories.

I'm about to start the second book in Mick Herron's Slough House series, Dead Lions. I finally finished the first one, and it turn out to be pretty good after a slow start. I like the characters. They're rough around the edges with good hearts for the most part.

Reactions: Mikkel and Val
I've read 7 more books in Piers Anthony's "Xanth" fantasy series (after reading "Board Stiff" back in August 2014). I read "Esrever Doom", "Swell Foop", "Jumper Cable", "Stork Naked", "Ghost Writer In The Sky", "Isle Of View", and "Demons Don't Dream" over a few months. I don't remember much of the plots... I don't know if I was distracted (I tend to do my reading during my bus commute) or if his plots are hard for me to follow. Or maybe reading about 7 pun-heavy books in one fell swoop just got them all merged in my mind. They're enjoyable (puns are a guilty pleasure of mine), but I think I've had my fill of them, even if the local library system has more I haven't read.

ETA: Hmmm... Isn't "swell foop" a spoonerism, not a pun?....

Reactions: Val and PTree15
Looking back on here was the last time I read a book really October 2018?! I have really got out of the habit of reading, I used to read a few books a week. I just listen to music or podcasts all the time, mainly music.:)

I bought a book a YouTuber was talking about the other day. Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself. How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One - Dr Joe Dispenza.

I'm going to make sure I read a few chapters each day, starting right now.

Reactions: Val
I had pretty much stopped reading a few years ago and have just recently gotten back to going to the library for books. I am currently reading Bruce Springsteen's autobiography. I love his music and his life story is very interesting. I also read the biography of Steve Jobs which was also fascinating. He was vegan or vegetarian most of his life.

Last post in May, and I can count 17 books since then.

Now I'm working through "Bridget Jones Diary". I needed a "chick lit" book for my reading challenge, and I ended on that cause I knew about it... :p It's not my favourite genre at all.

Now I'm searching for a book by a favourite celebrity. I don't have any favourite celebrity. To be honest, I don't care about celebreties at all, so it's a bit hard to have a favourite one. :p I guess I can go with "someone that may be have written something interesting that people know who is". :p

Last post in May, and I can count 17 books since then.

Now I'm working through "Bridget Jones Diary". I needed a "chick lit" book for my reading challenge, and I ended on that cause I knew about it... :p It's not my favourite genre at all.

Now I'm searching for a book by a favourite celebrity. I don't have any favourite celebrity. To be honest, I don't care about celebreties at all, so it's a bit hard to have a favourite one. :p I guess I can go with "someone that may be have written something interesting that people know who is". :p

Can the celebrity book be an autobiography? There are many interesting "famous" people. I just read Bruce Springsteen's autobiography "Born to Run" and it was very good.

Can the celebrity book be an autobiography? There are many interesting "famous" people. I just read Bruce Springsteen's autobiography "Born to Run" and it was very good.

Edit. It can be anything. :p Thought first you asked if it had to be a biography... Just that some celebrities have written it. The category is "Albus Dubledore - Book by a favourite celebrity". So I take that to can be everything from an actor to a scientist... Just someone that is known for other things that writing books I guess.

I do have a book written by Rich Roll in my shelf that can be a backup book (I still have some books before I get to that category, I'm just searching books at the moment). I think he is the closest thing to a favourite celebrity I can get, but few knows about him...

Last edited:
Reactions: Chryssie and Val
Mikkel, I don't know whether that would be a valid celebrity book, but Beryl Markham's "West with the Night" might do the trick.
She became famous for being the first woman to fly solo over the Atlantic, East to West. That, however, was only one of her many achievements (e.g. possession of the first commercial pilot’s licence in Kenya, being first female licenced horse trainer in Kenya) , and also, the book is quite remarkable.

A critic of her work said:
“Did you read Beryl Markham’s book, West With The Night? …She has written so well, and marvellously well, that I was completely ashamed of myself as a writer. I felt that I was simply a carpenter with words, picking up whatever was furnished on the job and nailing them together and sometimes making an okay pig pen. But this girl, who is to my knowledge very unpleasant and we might even say a high-grade *****, can write rings around all of us who consider ourselves as writers … it really is a bloody wonderful book.”

What makes this quote interesting is that the person saying it, one Ernest Hemingway, is not often described as a bad writer himself...

Thanks @Andy_T! Going to check her up! I need a little bit of more content than "I played in a movie, got drunk for 20 years and now am I depressed" books. :p

Edit. It can be anything. :p Thought first you asked if it had to be a biography... Just that some celebrities have written it. The category is "Albus Dubledore - Book by a favourite celebrity". So I take that to can be everything from an actor to a scientist... Just someone that is known for other things that writing books I guess.

I do have a book written by Rich Roll in my shelf that can be a backup book (I still have some books before I get to that category, I'm just searching books at the moment). I think he is the closest thing to a favourite celebrity I can get, but few knows about him...
I have a book by Rich Roll either (a digital copy), but i haven't read it yet (i'm too lazy). OTOH, i've seen some of his vlog.

I also read "Eat and Run" by Scott Jurek some time ago.
Interesting if you want to know about the life of a vegan ultra-runner (unfortunately way more about his running than about his veganism), but definitely not big literature.

Yeah. I have Scott Jurek's book too. And it's quite good. Running ultras facinate me, and I wished I could do it myself. But I know my limits. :p

Stephen Fry is also suggested as my new favourite celebrity.

Reactions: Andy_T
@Mikkel - wow, just saw your challenge on FB - that's so COOL! (Maybe youve posted about it in this thread, but I don't post much here - that needs to change.)

As for celebrity books, I don't really read them either, but I loved "Becoming" by Michelle Obama.