What are you?

CrazyCatLady

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like a strange question, but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

When describing your diet and/or way of life, do you say...

I am veg*n

or

I am a veg*n

Not comparing these to religion...just the use of the word. Would one describe themselves as "Christian" or "a Christian"

Perhaps I am the only one that sees a difference in the way it's said...albeit not an important one, more of a grammatical one lol xxx

I say that I am a vegan, I have a vegan tattoo so they might have realised anyway.:p

I will explain the context in which I thought about it. I told a friend that I am now vegan. She said, "I know a girl who is a vegan too"
I thought it was a strange way of saying it.
Being 'a vegan' sounded like I was something else, not me, not a human or something, but a vegan instead.
I prefer to be vegan, than to be a vegan lol.
Sorry, I don't think this makes much sense...in my head it does perfectly xxx

Reactions: PiSis
Because people will make assumptions about you.

:( I guess I may have this to come. I have chosen to tell my close friends because they all know I used to love cheese more than anything in the world. And if they didn't buy me cheese products randomly that I would have to decline, they would instantly spot the change in my diet. So I decided to tell them all. All being omni (one of which who shoots) have all been incredibly supportive. My colleagues also have noticed a change in my diet so I told them too. None have made assumptions about me because they already know me xxx

I'd say "I am vegan", because I see it as a description not a noun. I guess because it's a description of how I live not a definition of who I am! But it's just semantics really I'm not bothered either way, but I prefer to say vegan.

I don't bring it up generally, but if it either comes up in conversation or somebody asks I don't mind talking about it. It comes up a lot less now I'm at uni living on my own and so I guess I eat with people less, whereas at school/6th form I ate lunch at school everyday so people were often asking, oh are you vegetarian? But it does come up from time to time. :)

Reactions: PiSis
In my native language I would probably say the equivalent of "I'm vegan", but in English it somehow feels more natural to say "I'm a vegan". I don't really have a good explanation why ...

Sometimes I say "I'm vegetarian" sometimes I say "I'm a vegetarian". Don't know why I change it, I just do.

But in terms of religion, I always say "I'm pagan" rather than "I'm a pagan."

Being 'a vegan' sounded like I was something else, not me, not a human or something, but a vegan instead.
I prefer to be vegan, than to be a vegan lol.
Sorry, I don't think this makes much sense...in my head it does perfectly xxx
I'd say "I am vegan", because I see it as a description not a noun. I guess because it's a description of how I live not a definition of who I am! But it's just semantics really I'm not bothered either way, but I prefer to say vegan.
for exactly the same reason you both mentioned, i say i'm vegetarian and leave out the "a".

I don't generally go around announcing it, but I think that, when the subject comes up, I say, "I'm a vegetarian." I hadn't thought about it before, but I guess "I'm vegetarian" sounds more like a statement of diet to me, and my being vegetarian is more intrinsic to who and what I am than just diet - my thinking and emotions about animals really are the most important parts of me.

Reactions: KLS52
I don't say anything if it doesn't come up, but I just say I'm vegan to simplify when my dietary habits are questioned.

I say Im a vegetarian. To me a vegetarian is a person who is a vegetarian. But anyone can say it how they like.