What did you cook or Bake today? (2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone wants our dandelions, they're welcome to them. :| I think the neighbors would like ours gone, too, because the seeds blow over to their yards.

Half of our front lawn is no longer grass, it's mostly clover, violets, & dandelions now.... LOL

Reactions: Skylark and Val
I'm fine with things other than grass, as long as they're not spiky! I hate the spiky weeds we get. They don't pull out until they're tall, and then pull out really easily :confused:
I like dandelions except when they lose the seeds and are just sticks, making the grass, at a nice length, look bad

Mmmm, falafel.... :drool:

Made the mix... two cans of garbanzos, garlic, red onion, fresh parsley & cilantro, cumin, cayenne, coriander, smoked paprika, a little pink salt, Mrs. Dash, nooch, baking powder, lemon juice, olive oil... and I opted for a little tapioca starch & ground flax instead of flour.... easy-peasy in the FP....

FreshFalafel1.JPG

Made a few patties (still have leftover mix)... all greased up with evoo & ready to bake....

FreshFalafel2.JPG

And then, crispy oven-baked falafels! :D OMG, they smell so f*cking good.... LOL

FreshFalafel3.JPG

Reactions: KLS52
I made a bluebarb crisp. It’s blueberries, rhubarb, and mulberries. The blueberries and rhubarb were grown in my county, and the mulberry tree overhangs my backyard.

Reactions: Mischief and KLS52
It's finally done....

QuinoaTabouli.JPG

A big batch of quinoa tabbouleh/tabouli for my father... parsley, cilantro & baby kale, with red onion, lemon juice & quartered grape tomatoes.

Reactions: Val
i tried the zucchini raviolis, it was SO good :) thanks for the idea!

I would like to share dandelions with you, because we are drowning in them, either in the town or in the country, and no one wants to waste expensive chemicals on them. It's a real nightmare for allergics, but for me it's pretty cool to see carpets of yellow color anywhere you're going to.:p

If anyone wants our dandelions, they're welcome to them. :| I think the neighbors would like ours gone, too, because the seeds blow over to their yards.

Half of our front lawn is no longer grass, it's mostly clover, violets, & dandelions now.... LOL
I often wish I still had my pet rabbits Sony, Hans, and Franz, although I didn't have them all at the same time....

Sony was the first rabbit I ever had. She had black fur and weighed almost 9 pounds (although thinking back now, I think she was overweight, although the vet didn't mention that to me...) Anyway: she apparently thought dandelion flowers were a delicacy. When I had her out in my yard with me, she would often bite off a flower stem near its base and start eating it, bottom first, like a long strand of spaghetti with the flower finally vanishing into her face.

Over the years, my rabbits and I made a serious dent in the dandelion, plantain, clover, violet, and lamb's-quarters population, although all of us ate plenty of other stuff too. I liked lamb's-quarters (aka wild spinach) and dandelion, but plantain basically tasted like grass to me, although it's supposedly edible. Violet leaves are supposedly very rich in vitamin C, but also taste like grass (TMI alert)
and can give someone the runs of they eat too many of them, although my rabbits never had that problem

@Val a salad of tomatoes, cucumber, and napa cabbage sounds great!!!!

About red rice: my local food cooperative has several different kinds of rice I'd never heard of, as well as at least 2 different kinds of quinoa. I don't think they have red rice, but I'll look the next time I'm there. One kind of rice which really caught my fancy was Forbidden Rice, which was black... and as I recall, the price was kind of forbidding... but... the forbidden fruit is supposed to be the most tempting, and maybe it works the same way with rice.

Last edited:
I often wish I still had my pet rabbits Sony, Hans, and Franz, although I didn't have them all at the same time....

Sony was the first rabbit I ever had. She had black fur and weighed almost 9 pounds (although thinking back now, I think she was overweight, although the vet didn't mention that to me...) Anyway: she apparently thought dandelion flowers were a delicacy. When I had her out in my yard with me, she would often bite off a flower stem near its base and start eating it, bottom first, like a long strand of spaghetti with the flower finally vanishing into her face.

Over the years, my rabbits and I made a serious dent in the dandelion, plantain, clover, violet, and lamb's-quarters population, although all of us ate plenty of other stuff too. I liked lamb's-quarters (aka wild spinach) and dandelion, but plantain basically tasted like grass to me, although it's supposedly edible. Violet leaves are supposedly very rich in vitamin C, but also taste like grass (TMI alert)
and can give someone the runs of they eat too many of them, although my rabbits never had that problem

@Val a salad of tomatoes, cucumber, and napa cabbage sounds great!!!!

About red rice: my local food cooperative has several different kinds of rice I'd never heard of, as well as at least 2 different kinds of quinoa. I don't think they have red rice, but I'll look the next time I'm there. One kind of rice which really caught my fancy was Forbidden Rice, which was black... and as I recall, the price was kind of forbidding... but... the forbidden fruit is supposed to be the most tempting, and maybe it works the same way with rice.
Yay forbidden rice! It's tasty, nutrucious, beneficial, dense and chewy:D. It can hardly be overcooked. I guess a year or so it was very common in our grocers, and we were eating tons of it, but nowadays i can't find it in my home town:???:. I'm still hoping to find it, and as tomorrow we're going to "Spar" in the surburban town close to our village, i'll be looking for it.:p What about red rice, it is as common as black beans or something, and pretty affordable, but it's hard to cook it :chef::shrug:.

Over the years, my rabbits and I made a serious dent in the dandelion, plantain, clover, violet, and lamb's-quarters population

I want a bunny. :pout: And, cripes, our yard would be one huge buffet! :p

I had to look up "lamb's quarters".... What a weird name for a plant. LOL

Reactions: Tom L. and Val
I cooked black beans in the Instant Pot, remembering to leave the seasonings out so I could make brownies.
I have these in the oven now-https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/
The smell great! The batter? hopefully better baked! I added walnuts and used date syrup for sweet

I cooked black beans in the Instant Pot, remembering to leave the seasonings out so I could make brownies.
I have these in the oven now-https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/
The smell great! The batter? hopefully better baked! I added walnuts and used date syrup for sweet
How did they turn out?

I want a bunny. :pout: And, cripes, our yard would be one huge buffet! :p

I had to look up "lamb's quarters".... What a weird name for a plant. LOL
I forgot to mention... I had to stop bringing my rabbit outside with me- not because she would run away, but because of Cuterebra flies: they're sort of like a botfly and their maggots live just under the skin of other animals, coming out when they're grown and ready to pupate into adult flies. (Google an image of these damned things if you want to give yourself nightmares or ruin your appetite for a short time.) Usually, I suppose, they don't kill their host- but it's a big open sore while they're there, and at least potentially a serious health risk. I don't know if you have anything like that where you are. But I just started harvesting stuff for my rabbits and bringing it in to them- a bit more work for me, but much safer for them.

If I remember right, wild spinach became known as "lamb's-quarters" because, back in medieval Europe, the Latin name for the time of year when it was ready to be picked sounded something like that... "Lamas Carta", maybe?.... But yeah- weird name. I think "wild spinach" is a better word because it is botanically related to spinach, has similar nutritional benefits, and really tastes like it too, even though the two plants look very different.

Oh- back on-topic for this thread: I wouldn't call it "cooking", exactly, but I made salad sandwiches out of Italian bread, vegan "mayonnaise" (Just Mayo), and washed-off garlic Mustard and violet leaves. The other stuff I ate today was already cooked.

Last edited:
I just made this for lunches this week. I had leftover spaghetti so I sauteed onions and garlic and then added a can of diced tomatoes, black olives and dark red kidney beans. I tossed in some fresh basil as well. My house smells so good right now.
20180604_221105.jpg

Reactions: Tom L.
I just made this for lunches this week. I had leftover spaghetti so I sauteed onions and garlic and then added a can of diced tomatoes, black olives and dark red kidney beans. I tossed in some fresh basil as well. My house smells so good right now.
View attachment 14148
Thaaat's the way to do it, right there.... :cool: Way to rock those leftovers! :hh: That looks freaking delicious! :drool:

Last edited:
I made Spanish rice that came out just how I like it!
I dry toasted the cup and a half of rice till it was solid white, adding some minced garlic halfway. Added 2 cups no chicken broth, and a cup of salsa. Covered and let simmer on low for 20 min, checking at 15.

I didn't rinse since I was toasting it, so I will buy Lundbergs white rice next. They publish arsenic testing data and their fields are very low

I made a fabulous soup of split yellow peas, bell peppers, flax seed flour, carrots, green beens, courgettes, tomatoes, dill, garlic, tomato salsa, sumac, etc... I ate it with qutab.:drool:
I had to look up what qutab is. Sounds delicious!

Last night I made lasagna using the recipe from the veg*n restaurant that serves the best lasagna ever. It took forever to make, but it turned out really well. And there's enough left over for dinner again tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.