Would you eat Anencephaly meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegan Joe

Newcomer
Reaction score
Anencephaly is a condition which causes a baby animal to be born without a brain. These animals are blind, deaf, unconscious, and unable to feel pain. When these animals reach maturity they can breed via artificial insemination creating more animals with Anencephaly. Slaughtering these animals wouldn't have the same ethical implications as slaughtering animals with brains.

Would you consider eating meat if it came from an animal with Anencephaly?

No more than I would eat a human baby born without a brain.

Aside from the gut reaction, there are other concerns besides just ethical that I consider when I choose not to eat meat (all though ethical is by far my number one reason); the environmental impact would probably still be the same for this meat, and then there's health to consider, as well.

Um...no.
The babys born withour brains may not have any 'feelings' but I sure as hell bet the mother animals would know, Then they would be treat the same as dairy animals. breeding stock.
Disgusting to even think about it.

No, not really.

It's a fairly repulsive concept.

Anencephaly is a condition which causes a baby animal to be born without a brain. These animals are blind, deaf, unconscious, and unable to feel pain. When these animals reach maturity they can breed via artificial insemination creating more animals with Anencephaly. Slaughtering these animals wouldn't have the same ethical implications as slaughtering animals with brains.

Would you consider eating meat if it came from an animal with Anencephaly?
How can you be sure they won't breed offspring with brains? What will you do with the offspring with brains if they are born? Will you check each and every one of the billions of individuals needed to feed greedy carnists for brains before you torture and slaughter them?

What if - and this is not outside the realm of current scientific hypothesis - the brain isn't the only organ involved in producing thought and feeling? What if it the brain isn't the only seat of consciousness within the body?

No, I don't see this as an ethical solution to the masses' appetite for flesh.

Personally, I would have way too much pity for such sad little animals to ever want to eat them, and I have long abandoned viewing animals as food anyway. I wouldn't want eggs from brainless chickens or milk from brainless cows either. The notion verges on the obscene, from an emotional point of view, even if the ethical concerns were non-existent.

S'about the same moral quandry as breeding anencephalic children to sell to paedophiles, isn't it?

If it turns out they have been breeding enencephalic people to work in certain Govt departments in the UK for many years already, that would explain somethings that are otherwise totaly inexplicable though.

Reactions: Pickle Juice
Wow. I'm really surprised that everyone's so opposed to this. If the animal has no capacity to feel anything, and if there were a way to be sure that its offspring would never have brains, then I don't see the moral dilemma. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just as bad for the environment and human health as consuming any other meat, but no animals with any capacity to care will be harmed. It's basically the old "test tube meat" debate, which is something Peta actually tried to encourage scientists to work towards at one point, IIRC.

That said, a couple of years ago, I'd probably have said that I would be willing to try it. But thinking about it, I don't think I would today. I used to see meat as a food I no longer wanted to eat for moral reasons, but I used to enjoy it when I did eat it. But after 6+ years of being veg, I just no longer see it as food, so this idea isn't even tempting for me. I'm not sure exactly when that shift in my thinking took place. But I guess this means I really am veg for life.

--Fromper
:juggle:

Anacephalic human infants often have other anomolies. I don't think eating other mammals with this birth defect strikes me as particularly wise. Plus eww.

Wow. I'm really surprised that everyone's so opposed to this. If the animal has no capacity to feel anything, and if there were a way to be sure that its offspring would never have brains, then I don't see the moral dilemma. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just as bad for the environment and human health as consuming any other meat, but no animals with any capacity to care will be harmed. It's basically the old "test tube meat" debate, which is something Peta actually tried to encourage scientists to work towards at one point, IIRC.

That said, a couple of years ago, I'd probably have said that I would be willing to try it. But thinking about it, I don't think I would today. I used to see meat as a food I no longer wanted to eat for moral reasons, but I used to enjoy it when I did eat it. But after 6+ years of being veg, I just no longer see it as food, so this idea isn't even tempting for me. I'm not sure exactly when that shift in my thinking took place. But I guess this means I really am veg for life.

--Fromper
:juggle:

because the mother animals would become exploited as breeding stock...o_O

Often on here, or on Veggie Boards when I was on it, I would come across a thread and think "Wow, this is probably the grossest thread that I will see on this board." But then some time passes, and I find myself proved wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.