Would you eat Anencephaly meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only situation when I'd ever consider eating real meat is if it was printed from mundane and reconstructed matter, like on the Enterprise.

And given that we only seem to be able to do that with guns and Minecraft, I doubt that'll happen anytime soon.

I think it's cruel to purposely breed animals to be brainless...

I think it's cruel to purposely breed animals to be brainless...
Cruel to whom?

No brain = no sentience = no capacity to suffer = no cruelty.

There may be a million problems with purposely breeding brainless animals but cruelty to the brainless is simply not possible so that cannot be one of them.

Cruel to whom?

There may be a million problems with purposely breeding brainless animals but cruelty to the brainless is simply not possible so that cannot be one of them.
Why not breed brainless humans as well, then?
It just seems really messed up to me... To just make something that should be a living being into a mindless meatbag for a species who could live just fine on a veg diet.. xD
Oh, well maybe my thought process isn't logical. But it's not like this is going to happen anyway.

Reactions: FortyTwo
Why not breed brainless humans as well, then?
It just seems really messed up to me... To just make something that should be a living being into a mindless meatbag for a species who could live just fine on a veg diet.. xD
Oh, well maybe my thought process isn't logical. But it's not like this is going to happen anyway.
I agree 100%. I have seen anacephalic infants, and it's incredibly sad. I'm sure the poor animals would be just as pathetic.

Reactions: FortyTwo
Cruel to whom?

For starters it is undignified. The disabled are entitled to dignity and not be used by other people for their own ends.

Just to confirm what Anencaphaly is ..

The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) describes the presentation of this condition as follows: "A baby born with anencephaly is usually blind, deaf, unconscious, and unable to feel pain. Although some individuals with anencephaly may be born with a main brain stem, the lack of a functioning cerebrum permanently rules out the possibility of ever gaining consciousness. Reflex actions such as breathing and responses to sound or touch may occur.

Am I wrong in reading that as meaning, to all intents and purposes, that Anancephalics are non-sentient?

I'm thinking about this thread more, and I am wondering how much of a brain is left in these "brainless" creatures. They must have at least some method of regulating respiration and heartbeat. That seems to indicate some neurons left in the brain.

This is about humans.

____
"Anencephaly is a congenital birth defect (from the Latin congenitus, “born with”). It begins to develop right at the start of life in the womb. The word anencephaly means “without an encephalon”, the encephalon being the set of nervous center contained in the brain. This is not an entirely accurate definition: whilst a child with anencephaly is indeed born without a scalp, without a vault of the cranium, without meninges, without either brain hemisphere and without a cerebellum, the child is nevertheless usually born with part of its cerebral trunk, brainstem (Müller 1991).

Infants with anencephaly may still have small foci of histologically normal cerebral cortex (Stumpf et al 1990)

Almost 75% of babies with anencephaly born at term survive their birth. The life expectancy of those who survive is only a few hours or days (Jaquier 2006).

Approximately 20 percent of affected infants have additional congenital anomalies (Botto 1999). http://www.anencephalie-info.org/e/faq.php

My bad - I thought the OP was talking about anencephalic animals.
I meant that the article I posted was about human anencephalic infants. I assume it would be similar in animals, and if they lived after birth, they wouldn't live long enough to grow big enough to be a successful meat animal.

I meant that the article I posted was about human anencephalic infants. I assume it would be similar in animals, and if they lived after birth, they wouldn't live long enough to grow big enough to be a successful meat animal.

I think that was clear in your post, even though it did go right over das_nut's head. :p

I think that was clear in your post, even though it did go right over das_nut's head. :p

Sometimes, someone who replies to a thread isn't responding to the last post.

Maybe a nested post structure would prevent this confusion.

Sometimes, someone who replies to a thread isn't responding to the last post.

Maybe a nested post structure would prevent this confusion.

Why did you quote the post if it's not the one to which you were responding?

Status
Not open for further replies.