Breakfast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oatmeal enhanced with soy powder, beanutbutter and banana. Used half water, half oatdrink.

When I was restocking my oatmeal in the bulk food aisle, I saw that steel cut oats were the same price as rolled oats. So I thought I would try them. I still haven't mastered rolled oats in the microwave, so my plan was to make the steel cut oats on the stove top. then when i googled for directions i saw that a lot of people make them in a rice cooker. So I tried that this morning. I was led to believe that it would just take 10 - 15 minutes. So after i set up, I did other moring stuff, and then some other moring stuff. and then some more stuff. Lost track of time, but they were ready after a long time - mostly unsupervised.
Came out pretty good. Best news is that I seem to have 4 days worth already cooked. So I can just heat it up each morning.
Looked up some other directions and one YouTuber recommended you soak them overnight in the rice cooker - then they would only take the "claimed" 10 - 15 minutes. I'll try that next time.
I think after this I'm switching back to rolled oats. I like to make my oatmeal with soy milk for the added flavor and protein.

Best news is that I seem to have 4 days worth already cooked.

I love my steel cut oatmeal. I don't have a rice cooker, so I do it conventionally on the stove top. I purposely cook 4 days worth, as it reconstitutes very well. It makes for a very fast and convenient breakfast.

I love my steel cut oatmeal. I don't have a rice cooker, so I do it conventionally on the stove top. I purposely cook 4 days worth, as it reconstitutes very well. It makes for a very fast and convenient breakfast.

I also saw directions for making it overnight in a slow cooker.

I also saw directions for making it overnight in a slow cooker.

If I was feeding a family, perhaps, but my slow cooker is massive. It would not be worth cleaning it each time for 4 portions worth.

I've seen mini 1 quart sized slow cookers, but I'd probably buy a rice cooker instead. I love my rice and oatmeal :)

If I was feeding a family, perhaps, but my slow cooker is massive. It would not be worth cleaning it each time for 4 portions worth.

I've seen mini 1 quart sized slow cookers, but I'd probably buy a rice cooker instead. I love my rice and oatmeal :)

A couple of years ago I got a great big slow cooker as a gift. My previous slow cooker was very old and the cover had broken. So I gave it to the Salvation Army. I realized that I hardly ever used the big one. Just too much trouble. So i gave that one to the salvation army too. and in its space, I now have a little slow cooker and a rice cooker. I use the rice cooker a lot more often than the slow cooker. I think my next step is to give those away and get an Instant Pot.

I made a kale/spinach smoothie today. I loaded it with fresh berries and a half banana. No flax today, as it makes it too thick to draw up through a straw.

@Lou
I've been eyeing up those instant pots ;)

I just discovered that Life cereal is vegan. I was so happy! So, I had a bowl of Life cereal with soy milk.

A most yummy savory breakfast this morning.

Brown rice*, soaked overnight, boiled in a mixture of

Sunflower seeds (as flour)
Oats (as flour)
Crushed flax seeds
Onion flakes
Garlic powder (½ of onion volume)
Vegemite
Added salt

I added too much water for the boil so it wound up being soupy, which was fine (discarding boiling water means discarding water soluble vitamins and minerals)

To this concoction I added red bell pepper, some broccoli and some hash browns after it was cooked.

I think the key to the flavor of this was not only the onion and garlic but also the umami flavor the Vegemite added, which I was generous with.

*Alkaline, soaked in wood ash water which was discarded before boil.

Chunky peanut butter and cloud berry sandwich.

This morning I'm making some fresh steel cut oatmeal, as I type. Time to go back and stir ;)

Reactions: hopeful
A savory breakfast with Nekodaiden that doesn't include potatoes??!!

:p

Today I had wholemeal toast with "eggs", spinach, Cos lettuce, onion and garlic

"Eggs" were scrambled pinto beans (soaked overnight, boiled), then blended with avocado, salt and pepper and added to a skillet...

...and black salt to finish off just before consuming. This stuff really does add an eggy type flavor, together with the fat from the avocado it felt and tasted like I was eating egg sandwiches.

Thanks to @Kellyr for mentioning Indian grocers. I found my black salt there!

I had steel cut oatmeal, mango, papaya, blueberries, raspberries, and banana. Threw a little ground flax on top.

Muesli made with apple, oats, raisins, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, cinnamon, coconut yogurt and coconut milk topped with fresh blueberries, walnuts, and homemade granola.

Made pasta with a creamy sauce, last of the seitan, few last sun dried tomatoes, spices and red lentils.

Pretty simple breaky this morning. Barley that was soaked over night, blended to break up, quick boiled in a small amount of water then the barley water and crushed barley added to my blender with date syrup and frozen strawberries.

I only started with a couple of handfuls of soaked grain so I'll likely fix some hash brown sandwiches in a short while.

Spinach and brown rice with some tahini sauce that I made yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.