Breakfast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Nekodaiden

Well, this is a very basic recipe for apple butter. I've been making this stuff since I was a kid. There's kazillions more recipes online, with various sweeteners, apple varieties, etc. You honestly don't need a recipe once you get the basics. You can adjust sugar content to your preference, and put whatever spices you desire. Some people add cloves and nutmeg as well. Allspice has has these spices, so I keep it simple.

Ingredients:

· 2-3 lbs of apples

· 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice

· ½ cup of real maple syrup

· 1 tsp of cinnamon

· 1 tsp of allspice

· ½ cup of apple juice

Peel, core and roughly chop apples. Add to a 5-6 liter Dutch oven or a large saucepan. Toss apples with lemon, then add maple syrup and apple juice or cider.

Cook over medium heat until apples are tender. Use an immersion blender to puree the apples until smooth, being very careful not to splash yourself. A blender can be used, but again use caution.

Reduce your heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Your apple butter is ready when it’s nice and thick like jam. It should stick to a spoon without falling off. You can also test it by drawing a line through it with your spatula. If the butter holds its shape and doesn’t close the gap, it’s ready.

You can jar/can it or it will last a few weeks in the fridge. Also, there's crockpot recipes to make apple butter, but they are different, often requiring more liquid for slow simmering.

This morning, I had homemade bread with Earth Balance and strawberry jam. :)

I'm having a heaping bowl of arugula with apple cider vinegar for dressing. I don't always eat greens in the morning, but sometimes I crave them, like this morning. However, opening the fridge and seeing the arugula there made a powerful suggestion. Of course I will be hungry in less than an hour, so fortunately I made extra oatmeal yesterday.

80 grams if oats 100 grams of alpro milk and 1 shopped banana

Whole wheat bread with homemade hummus (chickpeas(soaked overnight/cooked), fresh onion and garlic, salt, white pepper and water -blended), broccoli, tomato.

Trying to find animal-free hummus in the supermarket was a bit of a challenge. I finally found one but it was loaded with oil. I'm going to toss it today.

I had green tea and a banana. I have to hurry out the door now into morning traffic, which I strongly dislike in this town.

An old standby with a twist: I had my hash brown sandwiches on whole wheat, with homemade hummus spread on top, plus broccoli, cos lettuce, mustard, ketchup and salt.

Reactions: hopeful
I had the most delectable "everything" bagel with hummus and sundried-tomatoes, and a cup of maple-flavored coffee with hemp milk. The bagel was so delicious I decided I must go to the store, buy "everything" (or slug as they're called in my town) bagels and the exact brand of hummus and sundried tomatoes so I stop spending so much money at the cafe before my weekend job.

Reactions: hopeful
Breakfast/Lunch

Light, as I had alcohol last night and too much of it, I slept in and was not hungry even after waking:

Nixtamalized brown basmati rice, shredded cabbage and a sauce made from sunflower seeds, tomato paste, garlic, onion, ground sumac, salt, apple cider vinegar and white pepper.

I'm making a tofu scramble this morning. I'm going to fry some onions with it, and serve it with homemade hash brown potatoes. I rarely eat ketchup, but with this it's a natural.

This morning, I had leftover pizza (mushroom and black olive) (vegan) from last night.

Vegetable spring rolls on whole meal bread with tofu scramble and picante sauce

Edit: and broccoli

Last edited:
Coconut and chia granola with plain (unflavored) soy milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.