How to deal with "why are you so quiet?" questions

just 5 minutes ago some random guy in his truck yelled at me to smile as I was crossing the street. I wasn't even in a bad mood or anything! Why do people do that? I don't understand what's wrong with them.

Had something similar happen to me o_O
I guess I looked angry because the sun hurt my eyes
No one smiles 24-7 anyway. Weird.

He was out of line. He didn't know what was going on with Katrina. She told US she wasn't in a bad mood, but for all HE knew, she could have been having a really bad day, and when you're having a really bad day, some stranger yelling at you to smile doesn't help.

Reactions: Tom L.
"I only talk when I have something meaningful to say to someone."
I like that one :)

Minds me (a little) of a story I read from buddhism ...

Jist being that this important personage was granted audience to meet the buddha and ask questions. Buddha did not reply to any of his questions.

Ananda (buddha's assistant) asked "why did you ignore that man? Buddha replies to the effect of "I wasn't ignoring him. I was just waiting for him to ask the right question(s) then he just upped and walked away!"

Reactions: Amy SF
I'm not particularly quiet and can talk the hind legs off a donkey, but my voice is naturally quiet. So when asked this my reaction usually is "I'm not quiet, youre just really ******* loud". alternatively, when I am actaully being quiet "I just like like listening" seems to be an acceptable response.

I have the opposite problem, of being too loud. Yesterday when I was at the pet store i was asking for worming pills and de-fleaing liquids and had to ask advice on the various types and say things like "No, that pill doesnt have all the worms. I want ALL the worms."

And the woman next to me was glaring at me but I have sensory processing problems and find it hard to control the volume of my voice so I am either silent or loud. But I thought, oh well. Not something i can really help.

I'm not particularly quiet and can talk the hind legs off a donkey, but my voice is naturally quiet. So when asked this my reaction usually is "I'm not quiet, youre just really ****ing loud". alternatively, when I am actaully being quiet "I just like like listening" seems to be an acceptable response.

Oh that's a good one too. They can't very well criticize you for enjoying listening to them. And maybe it'll make them think about whether they listen enough lol.

I get this quite a bit too, both because my voice is quiet and because unless I know you well, I probably won't be talking non stop. It's frustrating, especially once people decide to label you as shy as so many people then feel the need to keep pointing that out as though you're a child. Oh, are you shy? You don't need to be shy around us! It's okay, we won't bite. Grrr. I might though :)

LOL Katrina you should become my friend you will never have a problem. I get uncomfortable when conversations go quite, so I just talk all the time... AND YES I would be asking you a 100 questions - just so you can talk. I guess that is why I have a lot of introvert friends. OR they will ask me : why do you talk so much and then avoid asking you why you are so quite.

I guess I never ask someone why they are so quite but I get intrigued by them and then want to start a conversation.

Oh dear, I am probably a person you avoid

Reactions: KLS52
LOL Katrina you should become my friend you will never have a problem. I get uncomfortable when conversations go quite, so I just talk all the time... AND YES I would be asking you a 100 questions - just so you can talk. I guess that is why I have a lot of introvert friends. OR they will ask me : why do you talk so much and then avoid asking you why you are so quite.

I guess I never ask someone why they are so quite but I get intrigued by them and then want to start a conversation.

Oh dear, I am probably a person you avoid

Haha. I don't care if someone talks a lot or asks me questions. It's just irritating when someone has made no attempt to talk to me then they complain that I'm quiet. It's like if you want me to talk, ask me some questions then! Once the right topic is hit, I can go on for a while.

Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52
Anyway, I went to the event yesterday and nobody bothered me about me being quiet! It was a nice surprise. Whew! Now I'll refer to this thread next time I have to go to a group thing.

I have the opposite problem. I have been a chatty Kathy since I was a kid, and I have a loud voice, probably because of my large family and everyone trying to be heard :D. But I'm not one who has to have every minute filled with conversation. Silence can be a good thing now and again. Sometimes (it's rare), I actually don't have anything to say. I am better at using my "inside" voice now than when I was younger :D. It's an effort, though. Old habits die hard.

Simply, "I don't have anything to say"

Short and to the point. Then there was my grandpa's saying, "Keep your mouth shut and people will think you're dumb. Open it up and you'll prove it".

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
I have the opposite problem. I have been a chatty Kathy since I was a kid, and I have a loud voice, probably because of my large family and everyone trying to be heard :D. But I'm not one who has to have every minute filled with conversation. Silence can be a good thing now and again. Sometimes (it's rare), I actually don't have anything to say. I am better at using my "inside" voice now than when I was younger :D. It's an effort, though. Old habits die hard.

Large family. Large loud voice. Are you Italian by any chance?:D