I love Pickles & Sauerkraut

I think my mother was just too lazy to try getting the pickle smell out. :p As mentioned, she saved a lot of other jars, so she probably figured she didn't really need to save the pickle jars, too.

Reactions: SummerRain
I've noticed a lot of the commercial pickles use yellow food dye. :( In general I try to avoid artificial dyes. Though I'm probably not 100% on that.

But I love pickles too. I haven't seen Woodstock brand pickles mentioned I don't think. I've only seen them in our two health food stores and they are of coarse much more expensive. If they are on sale I'll buy two. Usually I stick to the Trader Joe's organic sliced dill pickles. I like sweet relish also.

And I sip pickle juice from the jar. Good stuff!

I can still smell pickles in an empty, thoroughly cleaned commercial pickle jar. Thus I also never saved the pickle jars; no good for anything else and I don't make dill pickles.

I've never had that problem with actual Mason canning jars, though. They smell of nothing once they're cleaned.

Huh.

I've noticed a lot of the commercial pickles use yellow food dye. :( In general I try to avoid artificial dyes. Though I'm probably not 100% on that.

Yeah, what's up with that? Yellow pickles creep me out. *shudder* Pickles are supposed to be GREEN. :fp:

Nowadays I just keep recycling my jar of Claussen's pickle juice. Every time I use up the pickles I slice fresh cucumbers into the jar and leave them in the fridge til they look pickled. I recently added a bit of salt and a couple of fresh garlic cloves. I have no idea how long I can keep recycling the pickle juice, but Claussen's are a childhood favorite. Bubbies are good too.

I like this idea.

I only like the Claussen pickles, I don't like the unrefrigerated ones on the shelf. The sweet ones are disgusting. I've never had pickled veggies before, other than the pickles and sauerkraut. One day I'll be brave and try them, they just don't sound very appetizing.

I love adding chopped pickles to potato salad, macaroni salad and mac and cheese. Yum.

I bought the Vlasic Farmers Garden pickles with the coupon yesterday. Can't wait to start eating them. Last jar of pickles I had (from Trader Joe's), once the pickles were all gone I dumped the brine, didn't drink it. I won't drink the new brine, either. BUT I might save it and get some cukes and see if I can make my own pickles with the brine. :D

Reactions: thefadedone
btw, for those of you who save the brine and add cukes to make your own pickles, how long do you keep the cukes in the brine before you consider them pickled enough to eat?

I put chopped pickles in my chickpea salad. They add a nice tang to it.

Yeah, I used to do that when I made tuna salad. First time I made chickpea salad it didn't come out so well. Mashing chickpeas is harder because they don't flake like tuna. I ended up buying a potato masher to mash the chickpeas.

Yeah, I used to do that when I made tuna salad. First time I made chickpea salad it didn't come out so well. Mashing chickpeas is harder because they don't flake like tuna. I ended up buying a potato masher to mash the chickpeas.
Yup, a use a potato masher as well. Or if I'm really lazy, I'll put them in the food processor and just pulse them a couple of times. :D

I bought the Vlasic Farmers Garden pickles with the coupon yesterday. Can't wait to start eating them. Last jar of pickles I had (from Trader Joe's), once the pickles were all gone I dumped the brine, didn't drink it. I won't drink the new brine, either. BUT I might save it and get some cukes and see if I can make my own pickles with the brine. :D

Oh which one did you get? I've officially tried all three varieties, but the zesty garlic chips are by far my favorite.

I put chopped pickles in my chickpea salad. They add a nice tang to it.

:yes: Chopped pickles should be a requirement for all chickpea salads. Chopped onions also.

Okay, new question:

Who likes their pickles cold?
Who likes their pickles warm?
Who is okay with both cold and warm pickles?

I prefer them cold.

Okay, new question:

Who likes their pickles cold?
Who likes their pickles warm?
Who is okay with both cold and warm pickles?

I prefer them cold.
Not warm, but comfortable room temperature.
I don't like vinegary things cold.