I love Pickles & Sauerkraut

I like the idea of putting the pickle juice in salads or dressings.

Hehe, I went into pickling specifically to get some raw sauerkraut juice for my vegan cheesemaking.
Eating the kraut was the added benefit.

BUT ... I would draw a line between home-made artisanal pickles and the odd jar of factory-made gherkins bought in the supermarket, where the juice is often a concoction of vinegar, high-fructose corn syrup and preservatives... (but truth be told, I normally still put some of these into my salads...)

Reactions: PTree15
So, made another batch of Kimchi yesterday :)
Based on my experiences from last time, I got the Korean red pepper paste with the unspeakable name this time for added authenticity and the possibility to manage the spicyness ...

5EE3D0BF-D12B-4E45-97F6-447F7755E6E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Val
I just can't do it. :no:
It reminds me of someone I know who drinks the juice from the can of black olives. :no:
I would do that as a kid! Olives were my favorite food, all kinds, and I loved the brine from the canned black olives. They stopped buying them because of me, and hid the salt shaker.

I tried using sauerkraut in a steamed rice cheese, but think I used too much. I don't quite remember, but I think it was 2 Tbls for the recipe, which was an average block. I don't like sauerkraut to begin, so maybe I just didn't like it? Always searching for that "just right" flavor and amount.

I would do that as a kid! Olives were my favorite food, all kinds, and I loved the brine from the canned black olives. They stopped buying them because of me, and hid the salt shaker.

I tried using sauerkraut in a steamed rice cheese, but think I used too much. I don't quite remember, but I think it was 2 Tbls for the recipe, which was an average block. I don't like sauerkraut to begin, so maybe I just didn't like it? Always searching for that "just right" flavor and amount.
Oh, me, too on the olives. I love them all as well. I think kalamata olives are my favorite. I use them and black olives to make olive tapenade.

Sauerkraut and pickle maniac is here!:devil::hh:
Thanks for bringing this thread to life again, @Andy_T .:flower: Your pickles look so yummy...:drool:
P.S. Unghshu is about to make a batch of pickled cucumbers (for the start), when mom obtains some cuckes, dill and apple cider vinegar, which is not easy, yet possible (i hope i've got enough seasonings for that).:bd:Recently, i devoured the last portion of my home-made pickled cauliflower, which was very good, tbh, and now i'm considering making either pickled cabbage, or cucumbers. But cabbage is too precious, and it would be a sacrilege, IMO. So... i'll make cucumbers, hehehe.:pickle:

• Friendly
Reactions: Andy_T
I made refrigerator pickles! I hope I don’t hate them! 😁
4100E939-8977-4A2F-B454-D4803AE5589F.png

Reactions: Amy SF
Oh, me, too on the olives. I love them all as well. I think kalamata olives are my favorite. I use them and black olives to make olive tapenade.
You go to Aldi sometimes right? They have the best green olives stuffed with either garlic, or jalepanos. I get the garlic stuffed- very mild garlic, like pickled, but sooo good
I get their kalamatas, but the quality is sometimes off

You go to Aldi sometimes right? They have the best green olives stuffed with either garlic, or jalepanos. I get the garlic stuffed- very mild garlic, like pickled, but sooo good
I get their kalamatas, but the quality is sometimes off
I love green olives stuffed with almonds but I hardly ever see them.

I also hope you don't hate them! :weird:
What'd you use?
I bought Kirby cucumbers and sliced them with some onions. I boiled vinegar and water with salt and pickling spices then poured it over the cucs/onions. Let them sit and cool and popped in the fridge. I will taste tomorrow but I really want to let them sit at least a week. I’m thinking worst case, they will be good for salad and sandwiches. 🤞🏻

I bought Kirby cucumbers and sliced them with some onions. I boiled vinegar and water with salt and pickling spices then poured it over the cucs/onions. Let them sit and cool and popped in the fridge. I will taste tomorrow but I really want to let them sit at least a week. I’m thinking worst case, they will be good for salad and sandwiches. 🤞🏻
I wonder if pickling spices are the same as what's used for corned beef? I'd like to try simmering a seitan in those, so far I add some juniper berries blended, and a pinch of nutmeg, and slices of garlic, then wrap and steam in Instant Pot. I think a 'corned seitan' would be better if simmered, then baked

Reactions: KLS52