I love Pickles & Sauerkraut

Okay, new question:

Who likes their pickles cold?
Who likes their pickles warm?
Who is okay with both cold and warm pickles?

I prefer them cold.
Either way, but mostly I like them at room temp.

Reactions: thefadedone
Dill dill dill, garlic garlic garlic! I don't like sweet pickles. Gimme dat garlic. :pickle:

Also - fried pickles are dangerously tasty.

Reactions: thefadedone
I just can't do it. :no:
It reminds me of someone I know who drinks the juice from the can of black olives. :no:

Hey, I'm digging this really old thread out ... as I have been searching for threads on fermentation, especially on Sauerkraut and Kimchi!

The reason for this is that I was productive today :)

Made 3 mason jars of Sauerkraut (no child feet used at all), and 2 jars of Kimchi...

image.jpg

I made the Kimchi fresh, for the Sauerkraut I re-used remains from an older batch to speed up the process (that is why the juice is already cloudy, although I only made it today).

Still, even if making fresh kraut, you would not need to use a child to stomp your kraut, simply knead the salt in with your hands, the bacteria that are omnipresent will take care of fermentation.

These were the recipes I used:
How To Make Homemade Sauerkraut in a Mason Jar — Cooking Lessons from The Kitchn
How To Make Easy Kimchi - Recipe

So now the fermentation has to run its course...

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
I love kimchi, but it's usually too hot for me. I take a bite, wait 15 minutes for my mouth to cool down, then take another bite.

Well, if you do make your own, you can control its spicyness...

And it is really, really easy. Even a person with two left hands (e.g. me) was easily able to make it.

OK, my pragmatism (huh? what? Korean red pepper? Don't have that, so regular chili flakes should do) meant that for my first batch, it was really spicy, although I had been going for a "medium spicy" taste. (Note to self: Obviously Chili flakes are more spicy than Korean pepper paste with unpronouncable name, next time reduce amount)

I don't feel comfortable making fermented food. I'm afraid I'll end up giving myself food poisoning.

Last edited: