UK Product Thread

They had that lemon cheesecake on the online tescos site, and I put it on my order, but then went back and deleted it, as I knew I would just scoff the lot......it hasn't been on the site since, and I wish I'd got it now.

They had that lemon cheesecake on the online tescos site, and I put it on my order, but then went back and deleted it, as I knew I would just scoff the lot......it hasn't been on the site since, and I wish I'd got it now.

I put it on my online order, and the order came and they were all "no cheesecake for you!". I think they mistakenly put it up for stores that don't stock it.

Wise. I actually did eat the entire cake over the course of a day, and I haven't bought it since.

That cheesecake is nice. I love the Mamma Cucina ones too.

I am trying to reduce my weekly grocery shopping spend and I just saw that Tesco have an introductory offer of their organic veg and fruit box scheme. I ordered the £9 veg box for next week.

I always do that too. I bought vegan marshmallows... I hate marshmallows... but I was so excited! I spent AGES finding pudding rice to make vegan rice pudding... and as soon as I ate a spoonful I realised: I HATE rice pudding, why was I so keen to make a vegan version? But sometimes I end up liking them, sometimes I eat doughnuts and jammie dodgers now and never did before I went vegan.

Reactions: AeryFairy
Thought I should mention the tahini sauce I got at Waitrose a couple of weeks ago. This was really nice, and goes with everything :p Note that it's tahini sauce, not just plain tahini. It comes in a squeeze bottle so it's ready to use as it is. I would really recommend the tahini sauce over the plain tahini, which tends to be used once and then sit in our refrigerator for ages unused.

Loads of vegan baking goods on offer at tesco at the moment, 3 for 2. Betty Crocker has some tubs of ready to use buttercream icing in different flavours which, at a glance, looked vegan. There's also various 'just add egg' cake mixes which are vegan, and it wouldn't be too had to use some sort of egg replacement. I bought a Victoria sponge mix to try out.

^ I once read a diet tip that if you mix a can of diet coke/lemonade/etc with a premade cake mix it saves you xxx calories. I just saw the vegan potential. it works! except I dont use sugar free (well if youre eating a cake its never gonna be healthy anyway...). Ive made cherry tango cake, cherry coke cake, and 7up victoria sponge. all pretty awesome and also lazy.

i cant believe the buttercream icing is vegan. im so **** at making icing! also if you make a good one it has shortening in it, and thats really really not fun to clean off a blender. i am sooo going to get some next time i make cakes, although it does feel like cheating.

Im the same with foods I used to hate. never liked trifle. find trifle at vegan fayre - gimme! I think its just the novelty of eating foods you never thought you'd eat again.

Reactions: TreeHugger
^ I once read a diet tip that if you mix a can of diet coke/lemonade/etc with a premade cake mix it saves you xxx calories. I just saw the vegan potential. it works! except I dont use sugar free (well if youre eating a cake its never gonna be healthy anyway...). Ive made cherry tango cake, cherry coke cake, and 7up victoria sponge. all pretty awesome and also lazy.

What???
Does this really work?
How much fizzy? And in replace of what, the egg? Or milk as well?
What does it work well and not so well with?
Can you taste whatever u use?
Sorry for all the questions, it's so interesting tho lol xxx

What???
Does this really work?
How much fizzy? And in replace of what, the egg? Or milk as well?
What does it work well and not so well with?
Can you taste whatever u use?
Sorry for all the questions, it's so interesting tho lol xxx

By using a carbonated drink instead of milk, you are incorporating extra air which makes
the batter lighter. You can also add lemonade to pancake batter.:)

It is quite popular to use lemondade in certain recipes DU.

I will put up a lemonade scone recipe up in the recipe section later on.

Reactions: TreeHugger
Haha yeah it works. Id say you use most of a can, until it looks like a normal cake mixture. Replace any wet items with it. My favourite is cherry tango cake.

I got my £9 organic vegetable box (usually £10) from Tesco today. I got a few potatoes, red onions, purple carrots, a swede, a squash and a romanesco. They sent me a free bag of russet apples too and they didn't look all that nice but I just tasted one and it was lovely.

I haven't had a response about the M&S vegan list of cosmetics and toiletries yet.

Does anyone know if PU glue means its vegan?(re:shoes)
I dont want to ask is it vegan as I feel they might just say yes thinking its what I want to hear. Ive googled it but Im confused.

I found this so Im assuming its synthetic...*hopes*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_glues

Also I was in Herron Foods today and they are selling the Linda McCartney vegan Chilli with Wedges for £1
Aswell as other LM products and some Cauldron Thai Bites(unsure if vegan) for £1

May be regional but I thought Id post anyway

The Linda McCartney chilli with wedges is SO nice! I've only ever had it once, though - not found anywhere in Manchester that sells it!

Linda McCartney now do a sausage and bean stew. similar to those innocent veg pots. I have no idea how much it is, someone had dumped one in the wrong aisle in Sainsburys so it didnt have a price. Looks interesting though. If Id have known where itd come from and didnt have to queue for the microwave at work I may have tried it.

Linda McCartney now do a sausage and bean stew. similar to those innocent veg pots. I have no idea how much it is, someone had dumped one in the wrong aisle in Sainsburys so it didnt have a price. Looks interesting though. If Id have known where itd come from and didnt have to queue for the microwave at work I may have tried it.

I saw them tonight! Sainsbury's have got them on an introductory price offer at the moment.

There's also LM sausages which are in the fridge section, not the freezer section! I got some (£1.50 with the offer price, no idea what they would be normally). They're also doing burgers and fish-free scampi. The burgers and scampi aren't vegan though but the sausages are.

I saw the stew, I think there was also a spicy one (I can't remember what it was, just that I knew it was spicy). In my Sainsbury's they were with the Cauldron stuff, Sainsbury's lovesoya stuff and the Quorn in the chilled section.