"Server Error" Problem

Joe

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I've tried to respond to a post by Blobbenstein in the Debates Forum. When I try to post the text, I keep getting this error message. Something like: Server Error--Try Posting Later.

Is this really a server error? Or is something in the content of my (attempted) post triggering this "error" message?

(This is the first time I've encountered anything like this.)

Let me try to post the text here and see what happens.

--------------------------------------

Nope. When I try to post the text here, I get the same "server error" message.

I remember, on another forum, you couldn't use the word 'time' in a thread title. The software just came up with an error message. This was due, I think, to the software using the word 'time' as past of its code.

Oh, that's both annoying and exciting at the same time. I'm very curious as to what the message was. Hopefully it was recorded in my error log. I'll check it later.

I'm encountering the same problem when trying to download photos.
It's a different problem it looks like, but hopefully one I can sort out myself.

I see both problems in my error log, so should be able to do something about it. (Currently I'm busy fixing issues after the OS upgrade yesterday, though.)

Oh, that's both annoying and exciting at the same time. I'm very curious as to what the message was. Hopefully it was recorded in my error log. I'll check it later.

Let me try to upload it here as a text file:

Attachments

• server-error-text.txt
    793 bytes · Views: 192
Just posting what Joe tried to post:

Carter was interviewed by Robert Scheer of Playboy for the November 1976 issue, which hit the newsstands a couple of weeks before the election. While discussing his religion's view of pride, Carter said: "I've looked on a lot of women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times."[45] He is the only American president to have been interviewed by Playboy.
Unfortunately, the article does not describe the public reaction to this incident.
But this cite gives a description of some of the public backlash:
Will Rabbe, Producer, Journalist & Historian - Blog - Jimmy Carter's Controversial Playboy Interview

Thank you Joe, and Blobbenstein. My error log says there was an "incorrect string value". Apparently, something about one or more characters not being in the character set I have defined for the database. I will ask about it on the Xenforo support forum.

OK, I found a similar thread on the support forum. Apparently, it's a problem with the add-on that auto-fetches titles for URLs. (So if you post a URL without giving it a description/title, the add-on will go to the web page that the URL points to, fetch the title, and use that as the description for the URL in your post. If the title contains questionable characters, that may trigger the problem.)

I'm curious if the problem has gone away after I upgraded the server though? I haven't seen the problem again in the error log. Please let me know if it's still an issue.