Supper/Dinner Time! What's on the menu ?

we had a late afternoon snack of air fried chick peas - a bit of chili oil, lots of spices - they were okay, not spectacular

so for dinner we had hummus/hot sauce and cucumber/celery/bell pepper sticks, green onions, green olives, cherry tomatoes and a few blue corn tortilla chips

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: PTree15
@PTree15 Corn on the cob is great! I've grown heirloom-variety sweet corn, and saved some seeds from last year. Sometimes, when I've waited too long to pick corn, I let it ripen and dry completely- then I can plant the seeds. (It's good to rotate crops you grow on a certain plot of ground, but my garden isn't really that big, at least not yet- so for now I grow some things on alternate years.)

But another thing you can do with completely-ripe-and-dried-out sweet corn is to parch it. You rub the dried kernels off the cob and put them in a popper; they don't puff up as much as popcorn, so you have to be a bit careful they don't burn- but they're quite good!- just a bit crunchy and a bit sweet- reminiscent of Corn Pops(?) cereal.
That is so cool about the dried kernels. Corn on the cob is probably my favorite thing to eat in the summer. :)

Tonight I'm going to have a chickpea tomato salad (my mom found an awesome, simple but very tasty recipe) with Cheap Lazy Vegan's feta tofu.

The chickpea salad has two cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed; a bunch of cherry tomatoes sliced up; some diced red onion; and fresh chopped parsley (oh, and I'll add some fresh spinach for more greens). The dressing is olive oil, lemon juice, dried parsley and oregano, minced garlic and a little salt and pepper. It was so delicious! So I'm going to add the feta tofu to it.

ETA: I found the salad recipe :). Here is the link in case anyone is interested.

Last edited:
I love corn on the cob so much! There is one farm in particular that is known for great corn, and while I dislike the grocery that sells it, I will go there for corn! I had one tonight

@Tom L. I actually kinda like what people refer to as 'cow corn'. I would love to try the 'parched' corn :)

Reactions: Tom L. and PTree15
Sounds quite nice to me. :yum

They just didn't get crispy and so they were a bit disappointing as a substitute for chips... the taste was very good.

Last night we had w/w penne with garlic, fresh basil, tomato, mushroom, onion, kalamata olives - it was delicious.

Emma JC

hmmm I think I forgot to put in Friday night's dinner - pizza and it was yum - tried the new Daiya, we usually use Violife - it was definitly meltier and the taste was okay... I think we have become use to the less melty type and so this was almost a bit too melty, if there is such a thing

last night we had spaghettini and meatballs with spinach, arugula, fresh basil, garlic, onions and mushrooms mixed in

Emma JC

hummus/hot sauce, cucumber sticks, bell pepper sticks, stuffed olives, and a side of pitza... that is my new invention of using whole wheat pitas as a pizza based - it's a simple snack with some leftover pizza sauce, fresh basil, spices and some cheez shreds - I love it because it gives you that pizza taste without all the work or the calories

Emma JC

hummus/hot sauce, cucumber sticks, bell pepper sticks, stuffed olives, and a side of pitza... that is my new invention of using whole wheat pitas as a pizza based - it's a simple snack with some leftover pizza sauce, fresh basil, spices and some cheez shreds - I love it because it gives you that pizza taste without all the work or the calories

Emma JC
Easy vegan healthy home-made fast food FOR THE WIN!

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Tofu and veg Thai green curry with rice. Inspired my the cooks at my work place, I have taken to adding just a little touch of Alpro cooking cream as well as the coconut milk when I make Thai curries. I have also learned to use the salt water technique together with deep-frying when I do tofu. It comes out chewy and juicy that way.

Pesto pizza from the local restaurant tonight. I saw on IG that they are stopping it over the autumn and winter so we may as well have it while we can!

• Friendly