US US Politics 2024

Love this guy
I liked some of the comments.

@rw2380

22 hours ago
Let us not ignore these basic facts about the perpetrator: He was not black; he was not Hispanic; he was not Muslim; he was not gay or trans; he wasn't an illegal alien; he wasn't Haitian, he wasn't an atheist, he wasn't Jewish, the list of people who's lives Republicans threaten is particularly endless. He wasn't even a Democrat. He was a white, male Republican US citizen - with an assault rifle... Just like the last guy...

@mnirwin5112
22 hours ago
One person suggested that a Democrat should stand up in Congress and propose a "Protect Donald Trump Gun Control bill" and watch the GOP/MAGA folks turn themselves into pretzels trying to figure out how to respond.

By 2012, political scientists Thomas Mann and Norm Ornstein warned that the Republican Party had “become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.”​

• Informative
Reactions: KLS52 and Emma JC
For every Harris/walz sign there are five Trump signs. CT is supposed to be a blue state but you'd never know it from where I live. 🤦🏻‍♀️

To make myself feel better I tell myself that Harris/walz people just aren't as in your face about who they support.
Pretty much all of the smaller towns are Republican in CT, but the bigger cities make CT blue most of the time, though the state has had Republican governors over the years.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
One observation I consider interesting … the amount of right-wing stuff I have been getting exposed to on « X » (formerly known as « Twitter ») recently is off the charts.

It was never lost on me that the « general » population on « X » was not very liberal, but when I open it now, I see 10 posts from people I or the people I follow have never interacted with, so I can only assume some malevolent algorithm keeps pushing those posts to everybody. Other than that, there’s lots of advertisements for scams/fake products.

To me, it looks very much as if « X » was bigly using its **** right now, but I don’t know how it would look to an easily impressionable American voter….

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
There's a vice presidential debate scheduled for 1. October on CBS News. How do you think this will play out?

Is Vance the more energetic candidate of the two, and will he somehow be able to present Trump's policies and talking points as something more reasonable-sounding? Or will his radical side reveal itself as he blurts out awful things that will be off-turning to even Trump-leaning voters?

Is Walz up for the job? He almost seems like too decent a man to take on a slime-ball like Vance, but he's had some great talking points, including the framing of Trump's policies as "weird". So maybe? Or maybe Vance will just shoot himself in the foot, so Walz doesn't have to do much?

(I think Vance is a slime-ball based on his initial never-Trump stance which somehow morphed into licking Trumps boots to get his endorsement for the Senate seat and then more boot-licking to get the VP nomination, and along the way he seems to have betrayed the demographic he originally championed. But what do I know.)

One observation I consider interesting … the amount of right-wing stuff I have been getting exposed to on « X » (formerly known as « Twitter ») recently is off the charts.

To me, it looks very much as if « X » was bigly using its **** right now, but I don’t know how it would look to an easily impressionable American voter….
Two comments to that
yes, you are not the first or only person with that concern. The un-moderated, unfiltered un-fact checked is a major concern. Many congressional hearings have been on the subject. other than much has been done here in America but we have made some progress. I've read that some of the Scandinavian countries are really doing a good job and some of their leaders have come here to help us.

From what I hear young people are moving away from X and getting more into TikTok and Instagram - but those are also very unreliable news sources. Unfortunately young people don't trust mainstream media.

My second comment, you might want to read as if I had done it in all caps. WTF are you doing on X?! Maybe 10 years ago it was a decent platform. but it is totally awful. And besides, Elon Musk owns it. I'm not sure if he makes any money on it but there is no way I'm supporting anything by him.

Oh sure you might have an "investment" with twitter and have your twitter friends and followers but surely you should have gotten out before.

There's a vice presidential debate scheduled for 1. October on CBS News. How do you think this will play out?

Is Vance the more energetic candidate of the two, and will he somehow be able to present Trump's policies and talking points as something more reasonable-sounding?
No
Or will his radical side reveal itself as he blurts out awful things that will be off-turning to even Trump-leaning voters?
probably. I suppose it all could be an act to appeal to a certain type of voter but I think he will just continue on the path he has created,
Is Walz up for the job? He almost seems like too decent a man to take on a slime-ball like Vance, but he's had some great talking points, including the framing of Trump's policies as "weird". So maybe? Or maybe Vance will just shoot himself in the foot, so Walz doesn't have to do much?
Yes :)
(I think Vance is a slime-ball based on his initial never-Trump stance which somehow morphed into licking Trumps boots to get his endorsement for the Senate seat and then more boot-licking to get the VP nomination, and along the way he seems to have betrayed the demographic he originally championed. But what do I know.)
I agree.

For every Harris/walz sign there are five Trump signs. CT is supposed to be a blue state but you'd never know it from where I live. 🤦🏻‍♀️

To make myself feel better I tell myself that Harris/walz people just aren't as in your face about who they support.
I haven't seem many signs for either candidate. I have been seeing some support being shown for the district and congressional guys, whose names I sometimes don't recognize. Those I more often just pay attention to the primaries. Once they are on the ticket I just vote Blue straight down.

there is a different kind of lawn sign going on in Nebraska. They just put up a sign with a blue dot.

Just reported that Mark Robinson might cost Trump North Carolina, and the election.
Not sure if I find this ironic or poetic justice or well... as you sow....

Just reported that Mark Robinson might cost Trump North Carolina, and the election.
Not sure if I find this ironic or poetic justice or well... as you sow....
On Meet the Press Vance was questioned on whether rump should retract his support for robinson.
“I don’t not believe him, I don’t believe him — I just think that you have to let these things sometimes play out in the court of public opinion,” Vance said. “He’s going to make whatever arguments he wants to make. I’m sure the news media and others are going to investigate these comments further.”
Walz is going to mop the floor with that wimp. It's hard to criticize your opponent as flip flopping when you've done it as much as vance.

The White House has quit 'X' as have others, and now are on "Threads". Threads has a long road ahead of them to make the success of Twitter o_O. I wish them luck!