What can I make with...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AeryFairy

Anachronism
Reaction score
I'm sure that, from time to time, we all have an ingredient in our fridge/pantry that stumps us. It's been happening to me a lot since I started getting mystery vegetable boxes delivered. I figured we could all help each other out! Post the ingredient(s) you need help with, and other people can post their favourite recipes/meal ideas :)

I'll start... What can I make with chicory?

Do you mean this kind of chicory ?

k8347456.jpg

I have 4 favourite recipes using chicory :

Braised
Chicory gratin
Chicory, orange and walnut salad with walnut oil dressing
Chicory canapés.

I steam (you could boil them) the chicory. Drain really well. Make a bechamel sauce. You can wrap a thin
slice of mock ham around each head if you wish.
Place in a greased oven dish. Pour over the bechamel sauce. Add some wholemeal breakcrumbs and bake in a hot oven 210° C30 mins.
You can also sprinkle vegan cheese over before cooking.

Chicory canapés filled with bean spread.

166485.jpg
166485.jpg

those canapes look SO GOOD as well :drool:

as for the bechemel sauce, do you have a good vegan recipe? I tried it once and I ended up with the most disgusting thing I've ever cooked :(

those canapes look SO GOOD as well :drool:

as for the bechemel sauce, do you have a good vegan recipe? I tried it once and I ended up with the most disgusting thing I've ever cooked :(

It should turn out something like this :

u17395344.jpg

I'll go and dig out a bechamel recipe. It really should taste the same as you substitute dairy for vegan milk.

Reactions: AeryFairy
It should turn out something like this :

u17395344.jpg

I'll go and dig out a bechamel recipe. It really should taste the same as you substitute dairy for vegan milk.

500 ml vegan milk - I often use Oatly.
100 ml vegan cream - Oatly or soya
50 g vegan butter
40 g spelt flour ( you can use plain flour)
s&p
Grated nutmeg

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook under medium heat stirring for one minute. Make
sure that it doesn't burn. Add the milk and cream in 2 or 3 goes, stirring with a small whsk. Make sure you get
the lumps out and than cook under a gentle heat for 5 minutes. Adjust the seasoning, add the grated
nutmeg.
If the sauce turns out a bit lumpy - just whizz it up in a FP or passe through a sieve.

When making a chicory gratin, drain the chicory really well and place the heads on tissue paper so that any
excess water is absorbed. They tend to retain water which could make the bechamel a bit too thin.

I think I have had chicory before, hmm.

I have a big bowl of eating apples. I thought I would use them for smoothies but I haven't been in the mood for them. Any ideas?

I have a big bowl of eating apples. I thought I would use them for smoothies but I haven't been in the mood for them. Any ideas?

Ice lollies!! Core, blend, freeze in lolly shapes or whatever shapes you have.

Then again most people, unlike me, don't want to eat ice in winter.

Ice lollies!! Core, blend, freeze in lolly shapes or whatever shapes you have.
Then again most people, unlike me, don't want to eat ice in winter.

I would eat ice-cream and ice lollies in winter,:) I don't have any shapes, I suppose I could use ice cube trays.

In winter, when I get leftover apples, I stew them with a little sugar and cinnamon. I'll usually stew the whole lot and then keep it in the fridge, and reheat it for breakfast or a tasty snack.

What should I do with my butternut squash?

In winter, when I get leftover apples, I stew them with a little sugar and cinnamon. I'll usually stew the whole lot and then keep it in the fridge, and reheat it for breakfast or a tasty snack.

What should I do with my butternut squash?

Roast bs soup.
Pearl barley & bs risotto (see Recipe section)
BS and mushroom tart

Status
Not open for further replies.