What did you have for lunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late lunch:

Brown Basmati rice (soaked overnight), broccoli, sunflower seeds, caramelized onion, garlic, mushrooms, salt, sumac, smoked paprika, tomato paste and a dash of mustard spice (on the broccoli after chopping and before mixing in).

I was downtown yesterday. I went to a cool vegan restaurant called "Meet". I tried their Portabella burger. It was tasty, but I regret not trying something else. I usually try to order something that's not easy to make at home. Why have something you can easily make yourself? However, the burger was delicious, nonetheless.

Subway veggie patty sub

I was away on my motorcycle back in August, and tried one of those subs. I honestly didn't care for the flavour. It filled me up, getting the job done, but I wouldn't order it again. To each their own though :)

1st: A shake made from cold brewed Hibiscus tea, fresh strawberries, flax seeds, raisins and a small scoop of dried Kale. Adding the kale was a mistake. Don't mind it, but it didn't go with the drink very well.

2nd: Sprouted barley soup, flavored like I often flavor my potato soup, with onion, garlic and salt.

I had a piece of whole grain bread with tofu "egg" salad on it. I just discovered the recipe in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep, which I proceeded to make in the middle of the night. Consequently, I had already prepared tofu "egg" salad available to me at lunch! :)

Nothing.

I woke up early, had breakfast around mid morning and have not been hungry since. I even took a nap. It's almost 4pm and I have no hunger. Couple of cups of coffee with jaggery after waking.

My homemade corn tortillas (99.5% Nixtamalized corn, .5% potato starch), with tofu, broccoli, tomato, jalapeno, onion, garlic, salt.

Some hours later I had a shake made of rolled oats (as flour), banana chunks(w/peel), fresh strawberries, dates, peanut butter, cacao powder. It's dinner time and I'm not particularly hungry.

I'm going to have a nice bowl of rice and beans, with some sliced avocado on top. Here's my exact preparation here.

I had some crackers with peanut butter and jam. I wasn't very hungry. Now, two hours later, I am hungry, so I will probably have an apple or coconut-based yogurt or something.

Not much really. I had a strawberry shake with more of the barley root juice I made yesterday. I also added the dry root, and that didn't turn out so well, lol (chew, fail, spit).

I'm making some whole wheat penne now. I will have some pasta sauce and a little bit of nutritional yeast on it.

Edited to add: I also had some soy ice cream. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nekodaiden
Lunch was a bit of a disaster. lol

I made my Nixtamalized corn tortillas last night, but I either need to add a bit of water or an oily seed like flax so that they don't break apart so easily when I go to fold them.

So I'm at the lunch table, everyone else is eating fried chicken and chips. I have my tortillas, my hummus I smashed together this morning, an avocado, some Chinese lettuce, a tomato, onion, garlic and jalapenos.

The avocado was rotten inside. The tortillas broke in two when folded. I wound up having broken tortillas with homemade hummus dip.

Not what I would have liked to impress a bunch of meat eaters. Sigh, oh well.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Emma JC
Vegan sushi... not just avocado rolled in rice, but spicy soy "tuna," baked tofu rolls, veggie-lovers delight. It was amazing!

I've never had vegan sushi before, but now my life is divided into two sections: before I knew of vegan sushi and after. :)

Pea soup from the freezer - made in the instant pot from whole peas - it took over two hours at high pressure to cook the whole peas and it could have used another 1/2 hour - they are tough!!!

Oh yeah, back to lunch, the pea soup had carrots and onions in it and we had a pita on the side.

Emma JC
ps I am going back to split pea soup as it is much simpler and quicker.

I had spaghetti with pasta sauce, then some chocolate non-dairy ice cream.

Pea soup from the freezer - made in the instant pot from whole peas - it took over two hours at high pressure to cook the whole peas and it could have used another 1/2 hour - they are tough!!!

Oh yeah, back to lunch, the pea soup had carrots and onions in it and we had a pita on the side.

Emma JC
ps I am going back to split pea soup as it is much simpler and quicker.

@Emma JC Have you tried soaking the peas overnight? I usually buy my peas frozen, and they are a quick steam job in my veggie steamer, but dried peas I don't remember using. However, with many of the whole grains and beans I eat I've learned to do them in fairly large batches - soak overnight (or Nixtamalize, in the case of corn) then freeze in baggies for re-heat. Makes cooking a lot quicker.

Late lunch was 4 large (baked) red potatoes, which I poked holes in and rolled around in some olive oil and salt. Before putting in the oven, I cut a hole in each into which I placed some garlic. This is the first time I've used oil in quite some time. Next time I might try using soaked flax seeds for this instead of oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.