What did you have for lunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot and Spicy Corn and Tomato soup with broccoli, green peas and sunflower seeds

Hot n Spicy Corn and Tomato: Nixtamalized corn as masa (flour), water, tomato paste, onion, garlic ,ground mustard seed, smoked paprika powder, cayenne pepper powder, white pepper powder, salt, liquid smoke

Additions: broccoli, green peas and sunflower seeds.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
@Emma JC Have you tried soaking the peas overnight? I usually buy my peas frozen, and they are a quick steam job in my veggie steamer, but dried peas I don't remember using. However, with many of the whole grains and beans I eat I've learned to do them in fairly large batches - soak overnight (or Nixtamalize, in the case of corn) then freeze in baggies for re-heat. Makes cooking a lot quicker.

These peas are the whole version of split peas (dried that you buy to make pea soup, not sweet peas that are frozen) so, yes, similar to beans. I did soak them overnight and they are still very tough to cook. Whole pea soup is a French Canadian thing...

Emma JC

Whole wheat spaghetti with broccoli and leftover peanut sauce from yesterday. :)

Lunch was light. I worked out the fiber content from this morning's meal and it was just shy of 30g. I've been satisfied for hours.

Lunch: Broccoli and tomato with my homemade hummus dip from this morning to which I mixed in some dill water from the pickle jar and mustard powder. Mmm. All this goodness for less than $2 so far.

Last edited:
Nixtamalized brown basmati rice with sunflower seeds, green peas, cos lettuce, tomato, 1/2 tsp dark sesame oil, garlic powder and salt.

This was the second time I've tried brown rice put through the Nixtamalization process (for a very short time, 4 minutes, corn takes overnight) then after drain/rinse boil with fresh water, it turned out great! Soft and with no chewiness. Fastest brown rice without soaking or long cooking times I've ever had.

I had a chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie. (Two bananas, chocolate PB2 powder, and chocolate soy milk.)

Reactions: Nekodaiden
Same as breakfast: Vegetable spring rolls, tofu scramble and whole wheat with picante sauce.

Except this time with some fresh dandelion greens from my yard.

Big salad with cucumber, romaine, sprouts, hemp hearts, french onions, cauliflower, home made seitan and ranch dressing.

I had two kiwis to tide me over, then some garlicky mashed potatoes I made after. I made them in advance for dinner, but I thought having some for lunch too wouldn't hurt. ;)

Leftover mashed potatoes from last night. I wasn't that hungry because I had some banana bread a couple of hours before lunch time.

Yesterday, I went out to lunch. I had a salad and baked fries. I had a root beer to drink.

Right now, I am having a smoothie for lunch. It contains: plain (unflavored) soy milk, a banana, frozen strawberries, and chocolate protein power (a little bit).

Status
Not open for further replies.