Nutrition & Diet April Health Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never heard of sparkpeople. Gonna sign up & see what the dealio is...

Just when I thought my diet was going poorly, because I keep giving into temptation on snacking lately, my weigh in this morning says I lost 2.4 lbs this week. :???: I don't get it.

Anyway, that means I've lost 13.8 lbs since the start of our "biggest loser" contest at work. We've got 4 weeks left to go. To get my body mass index out of the "overweight" range and back down to "average", I need to lose another 2.8 lbs, which should be possible in that time.

I keep saying I need to start exercising more, but it hasn't happened yet. Because I'm likely to start eating more to compensate for the burned calories, I may wait until after the diet's over next month, then try to start some sort of serious exercise.

--Fromper
:juggle:

I wish my body would let go of excess weight as easily as yours seems to, Fromper!

My skipping is edging closer to my goal time. My eating habits have been a little iffy, lots of eating out this week as my brother was visiting. Still haven't stood back on the scale, I think I'm just going to leave it to the end of the month and see whether I've met that goal or not.

Sometimes that's for the best, AeryFairy. The scale can sometimes lie anyway, when it comes to water retention and things like that.
Fromper, way to go!
I lost 2 pounds last week, so I'm up to 6 lost for the month, which I will definitely take! My weight routine has suffered, though. Last week was insane work-wise so I did weights only once during the week. This week has gotten off to a slow start exercise-wise as well. I spent the weekend traveling for three concerts so there wasn't a lot of time for working out. Last night, I didn't get home until 3 a.m., so I am going to take a nice walk after work.

I'm really pleased how this month has gone; I've eaten well and done a lot of yoga. I've got back into the habit of running as well, yay! :)

So with one month to go in our four month weight loss contest at work, the organizers decided to post the standings so far. I've lost 7.77% of my body weight (I dropped from 177.6 lbs to 163.8). That puts me in the lead in the contest by a huge margin. The second best lost 3.65% of her body weight. And it's not like a really huge person, whose 3.65% might be the same amount of weight as my 7.77%. Everyone in the contest seems to be people who are pretty average weights who might want to lose 10 or 15 lbs, not anyone obese.

I'm pretty surprised that I'm this far ahead. I'm satisfied with my results, but 14 lbs in 3 months isn't anything special. When was the last time you saw a diet ad bragging about helping people lose 1 lb per week? Because that's the rate I'm going at. Slow, steady loss, which is probably best, but nothing special. I really figured at least 2 or 3 people of the 20 or so in the contest would go on some sort of fad diets or something extreme that would let them lose weight a lot faster than me, but I guess not.

I think there's a prize at the end of the contest, but I'm not sure. I've been getting gift cards for each week where I've had the best weekly results (only 4 times so far), so maybe there will be a bigger one for the overall winner at the end.

--Fromper

Slow, steady, loss IS best. Sounds like you're doing it the healthy way which means it's more likely to stay off.

I am an epic failure compared to you others in here. :( I thought I was doing well with the walking and cutting back on the goodies but didn't seem to work. Instead of losing, I managed to gain a pound. I am so upset with myself!

Fromper, that is awesome. Slow and steady does do it. And it's more likely to stay off. Fad diets don't work because people end up gaining when they start eating normally again.
Yally, you are doing awesome as well. It feels good to get into a healthy routine, doesn't it?
Chryssie, you so did not fail. You are walking more often and have cut back on the goodies. Those are pluses! You might be retaining fluid or something. If you keep up what you are doing, you are bound to drop some weight eventually. Walking is so good for you, though, for physical AND mental health. That's why I like hiking so much. I so clear my head when I do it.

Reactions: yally and Amy SF
I am an epic failure compared to you others in here. :( I thought I was doing well with the walking and cutting back on the goodies but didn't seem to work. Instead of losing, I managed to gain a pound. I am so upset with myself!

You ARE doing well, please don't beat yourself up over one little pound!

Reactions: Amy SF
I gained .6 lbs the first two weeks of my diet. I figure anything less than 2 lbs either way is just statistical noise. Keep at it, and you'll lose the weight eventually.

--Fromper

Status
Not open for further replies.