• fawx

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • foikx?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
They don't, unless they are imitating an English accent.:D
Maybe it's the American "foe" and the English "Fau"? My friend from France that I practice my horrible schoolgirl French with says "foe" for faux. But the American "foe", is it pronounced differently in England?

ETA: researched it a little, still confused.

"Change of Diphthong /əʊ/ to /oʊ/

The shift from the British diphthong /əʊ/ to /oʊ/ is also very distinguishing. The shift consisted in the change of the mid central unrounded vowel /ə/ to the close-mid back rounded vowel /o/ in the first vowel of the diphthong. This shift is considered to be systematic"....snip...

"The letter “o” is pronounced in many different ways in English. Here we have a few illustrative examples of such diversity: Hot /hɒt/ in RP, but /hɑt/ in GA; corn /kɔ:n/ in RP, but /kɔrn/ in GA; continue /kənˈtɪnju:/; moon /mu:n/; coast /kəʊst/ in RP, but /koʊst/ in GA; house /haʊs/. The so-called “short o”, which often appears in a stressed syllable with one letter o such as in dog or model, underwent a change in American English. In British English that sound is pronounced as an open back rounded short sound /ɒ/, as in hot /hɒt/, or possible /ˈpɒsəbəl/. In American English it is pronounced either as an open back unrounded long sound /ɑ/, as in hot /hɑt/, or as an open-mid back rounded long vowel /ɔ/, as in dog /dɔg/. Note that British English prefers a short sound as opposed to American English, which prefers a
long sound in all cases."

British Vs American Accent | Amristo

Last edited:
Maybe it's the American "foe" and the English "Fau"? My friend from France that I practice my horrible schoolgirl French with says "foe" for faux. But the American "foe", is it pronounced differently in England?

ETA: researched it a little, still confused.

"Change of Diphthong /əʊ/ to /oʊ/

The shift from the British diphthong /əʊ/ to /oʊ/ is also very distinguishing. The shift consisted in the change of the mid central unrounded vowel /ə/ to the close-mid back rounded vowel /o/ in the first vowel of the diphthong. This shift is considered to be systematic"....snip...

"The letter “o” is pronounced in many different ways in English. Here we have a few illustrative examples of such diversity: Hot /hɒt/ in RP, but /hɑt/ in GA; corn /kɔ:n/ in RP, but /kɔrn/ in GA; continue /kənˈtɪnju:/; moon /mu:n/; coast /kəʊst/ in RP, but /koʊst/ in GA; house /haʊs/. The so-called “short o”, which often appears in a stressed syllable with one letter o such as in dog or model, underwent a change in American English. In British English that sound is pronounced as an open back rounded short sound /ɒ/, as in hot /hɒt/, or possible /ˈpɒsəbəl/. In American English it is pronounced either as an open back unrounded long sound /ɑ/, as in hot /hɑt/, or as an open-mid back rounded long vowel /ɔ/, as in dog /dɔg/. Note that British English prefers a short sound as opposed to American English, which prefers a
long sound in all cases."

British Vs American Accent | Amristo

When Brits and Americans speak French, they seem to have a similar accent. I have never paid attention to an American person saying faux so I'll have to ask my cousin to pronounce it when I call her.

''In French, you typically don't pronounce final consonants, so that "-x" suffix is simply not sounded at all. The combined letters "-au-" are pronounced like "au" in "augment" or "aw" in "awful" (a slightly prolonged "-o-" sound).''

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots and KLS52