The Weather.

Waiting for Milton day! It's raining this morning but very calm. They keep moving the time as he just takes his sweet time getting here. This always happens! The waiting is so stressful and then they always hit in the middle of the night!
Ugh...I don't know how you stand it. I get that it's out of our control, but I'm flipping out here and I'm more than 3000 miles away. I keep taking short breaks from watching the updates but then I have to check to see if there have been any changes. So many tornadoes 🌪️ too!

Ugh...I don't know how you stand it. I get that it's out of our control, but I'm flipping out here and I'm more than 3000 miles away. I keep taking short breaks from watching the updates but then I have to check to see if there have been any changes. So many tornadoes 🌪️ too!
I can't stand to watch the news all the time. I turn it to something else and check back periodically. I have been reading a book this afternoon. Now I am having lunch and watching the tornado warnings which are not near here.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and KLS52
Well that threw me for a minute-----20 C :laughing:

It's in the 50's F here, like 12 C,
Why can't this be easier? Other than 0 F = 32 C I have to look up!
Yep! I have a natural science background, so I had to get used to the Centigrade system early on. But Fahrenheit is still more natural to me.

Reactions: Lou and KLS52
It's pretty nasty out now with some strong wind gusts over 30mph and the rain is coming down hard. It has rained all day. My power and internet has been blinking on and off a bit. I will go to bed soon. I am already up later than normal. I hope I have power still in the morning.

I should know this. or maybe I used to know but forgot. But what do boat owners do?
do they go out in the ocean and try to avoid the storm?

Reactions: Freesia
I wish I had more than just the weather channel to watch. I've decided they are not very good. They definitely play up the sensationalism aspect. So far from what I'm seeing, it doesn't seem as devastating as the floods from Helene. But the tornado count with Milton is just crazy. I saw that there were 125 tornadoes, 37 that were actually "observed". It looks like the tornadoes did the most damage. And I heard 34 deaths so far. 😢

• Sad
Reactions: Tom L. and Freesia
Good morning! It is still raining but it is calm now here but still very windy in some places. There are flash flood warnings for many areas and we are to stay home and off the roads. My power actually did not go out except for that brief time in the early evening. Now the cleanup begins.

I should know this. or maybe I used to know but forgot. But what do boat owners do?
do they go out in the ocean and try to avoid the storm?
I don't know either. I've known maybe two people who have been current or recent boat owners. But I can't imagine anyone intentionally going out in a severe storm, unless maybe they had no other choice for some reason. It would be a memorably exciting ride, for sure!...

Years ago, on my trip back from Europe- on an ocean liner- there was one rough night out on the Atlantic. My cabin felt like it was on some sort of huge bungee cord; I actually enjoyed the sensation and wasn't worried about our ship having trouble. But there happened to be some sort of regatta with much smaller vessels going on nearby, and the ship was prepared to offer assistance.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Found this article:
Thanks that was informative.
I just remembered that my father (retired to Florida to live on a boat) did not spend the summers in Florida but took the Intercostal Waterway to NY every spring and only returned in the fall. I think even small boats could make that journey if the owner had the time and someplace to stay when they got up north.

I think that is what I would do if I could. I remember seeing pictures of boats on shore in streets and in tress and stuff.

Thanks that was informative.
I just remembered that my father (retired to Florida to live on a boat) did not spend the summers in Florida but took the Intercostal Waterway to NY every spring and only returned in the fall. I think even small boats could make that journey if the owner had the time and someplace to stay when they got up north.

I think that is what I would do if I could. I remember seeing pictures of boats on shore in streets and in tress and stuff.
Years ago, my ex's father lived on a houseboat on a river in a park in Kentucky. I don't think they actually went anywhere in it though. LOL It was really nice and very efficiently designed.
And yes there are boats up in yards right now that were not secured properly.

Reactions: Emma JC